Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer Policies. NoDesktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rlei1130

rlei1130

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hi all. This is my first time posting, luckily, because I haven't really had any computer problems prior to now. A week or so ago, my computer was attacked by some type of virus, which kept prompting me to purchase a program to help "Defrag" my computer. After some research, it seems as though it was a virus called "Win Defrag" or "Safe Defrag" or something along the lines.

Some things that have been affected are:
  • All program files and documents became hidden and read-only
  • the start button had no programs, or documents on it
  • all my short cuts were deleted

All of these have since been resolved, but there is still one problem that I am having.
My desktop is locked...
By locked I mean that I can't change the back ground. I can't put any Icons on the Desktop. All the Icons and folders that were on the desktop still appear when I view the desktop through My Computer. But while looking at the desktop with everything else minimized, nothing is there.

I've tried to right click>arrange Icons>Show Icons or whatever it is...but it won't even let me right click on the desktop.

I have AVG Anti-Virus, which didn't pick this virus up at all. So I also downloaded StopZilla, which keeps picking something up:
"Explorer Policies. NoDesktop"

I run StopZilla, it says it removes the "Hijacker", but nothing changes with my desktop.

So I read that I should try to make a regestry Key (or something.. I'm the opposite of computer savy) in Notebook that follows:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDesktop"=dword:00000000

Once, I then try to run that..StopZilla comes back up with the same virus: Explorer Policies. NoDesktop

So, Please, if anyone one knows how to eliminate this virus, or whatever I need to do to get it off my PC and allow my desktop to work again.... That would be Amazing!!!!

Edited by hamluis, 15 May 2011 - 12:12 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pacegirl

Pacegirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:05 AM

Hello rlei1330,

We are currently having the same problem. We also have no desktop icons or background and we keep seeing an error message warning us of a hard drive failure. We are also running StopZilla and are experiencing the same warning of a hacker but cannot remove the virus we are then presented with an error message of ExplorerPolicies.NoDesktop.

We contacted the StopZilla live support and a repreentative took control of our computer and ran 'chkdsk c: /p/r' to try to retrieve the desktop, however we are still having the same problem. Currently we cant get through to StopZilla live chat again as we think that the virus is stopping the page geting through. If we manage to get through to StopZilla and manage to fix it we will let you know. :D

Edited by Pacegirl, 18 May 2011 - 08:10 AM.

#3 Pacegirl

Pacegirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

UPDATE

We managed to get hold of StopZilla Support again and they sent us and email, telling us to uninstall and then reinstall the programme from the following link:
http://download.stopzilla.com/binaries/stopzilla/auto_installer/5_0_91_0/SZPro5.msi

After re-installing StopZilla it automatically ran a 'Intelligent Scan' which found and removed the virus ExplorerPolicies.NoDesktop and reinstalled SOME of our desktop items and SOME of the programmes that are in our Start menu. HOWEVER when we go into the start menu to run some of the programmes it tells us that those files are empty yet when we scan the computer it goes through all of those files so we know that there on the computer somewhere. It hasn't been able to fix the problem completely but were a lot closer than we were earlier.

I hope this helps in some way. So far StopZilla Tech has been brilliant!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users