Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems accessing email in Outlook 2010

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ninjadad

Ninjadad

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hi, a friend has asked me to take a look at his laptop. He was browsing through his mail and opened one, he didn't think it looked suspicious. (I have ran a check and found nothing on the laptop.)
On opening it his whole inbox disappeared and since then, he hasn't been able to get any mail.
On doing a send and receive I get these sort of errors:

Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for ****@dukechristie.com (1).' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for ****@*dukechristie.com (1). Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Task '****@*dukechristie.com (1) - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0D) : 'Cannot find the e-mail server. Verify the server information in your account properties.'

I think this must be a server error as it suggests, it is an IMAP account he is using. I have done a google search to try and fix this but am having no luck.
I have gone to settings and changed it so it only downloads headers and this has done nothing.
I have also checked the account settings and they are correct.
I have been told that he can get his mail through webmail and is having no problem sending and receiving that way. I'd just like to get it working on 2010.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

he is running a Toshiba L550 Laptop with windows 7 home premium x64

Edited by Ninjadad, 15 May 2011 - 12:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

Can you not hide the server information that is critical to assisting you.

#3 Ninjadad

Ninjadad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

Sorry, above poster told me not to hide stuff in order to fix the problem, I thought I had done right by hiding it, that just confused me.

Thanks.

Edited by Ninjadad, 15 May 2011 - 11:42 AM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

DO NOT POST EMAIL ADDRESSES IN A PUBLIC FORUM. There are bots that do nothing but scour forums for email addresses, which are then sent to spammers. DELETE the email addresses from your posts right away.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:41 AM

You can remove the duke@ part that part is un-needed and as suspected there is no mail entry in the DNS for dukechristie.com

http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=dnsrec&host=dukechristie.com

#6 Ninjadad

Ninjadad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

Sorry, I'll know that now for future.
Where can I enter the info for the DNS as the account settings only ask for incoming and outgoing mail servers?
I take it this will have to be done through the actual dukechristie.com website account and not through Outlook?

Thanks.

Edited by Ninjadad, 15 May 2011 - 12:15 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

You need to do that at the hosting providers site or the site that manages the DNS.

See the difference: http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=dnsrec&host=cryptodan.net that is mine.

#8 Ninjadad

Ninjadad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

Great thanks, I'll get in touch with the guy that setup the website for him and that should hopefully fix it for him.

Many thanks.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

Remember it takes 24 to 72 hours for DNS changes to go around the world.

#10 Ninjadad

Ninjadad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hi, I've spoke to the guy that put the site up and he's adamant there's nothing wrong with it and that it must be outlook 2010.
I did a repair install of Outlook and was able to get some mail, but since returning it my friend can't receive mail but can send it.
I'm going to get him to check thunderbird in the morning to see if he can get his mail through that.

Any other suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks, Mark

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Send him the links to my DNS Records and his and hell see the difference.

#12 Ninjadad

Ninjadad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

Hi just wanted to let you know that the problem has been resolved. I still don't know what's going on with the DNS settings, though they don't look right, they are working.
In the end the email account was changed from IMAP to POP3 and everything is working now.
Thanks, for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users