Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jdietz

jdietz

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

A friend asked me to look at a computer for her.

E Machines
AMD Athlon 2200+
256 Meg PC 2100 ram
60 Gig HD
Smart Link Modem
CD-RW
DVD Rom
onboard graphics, sound, and ethernet
I think it is a Via M.B.

When you turn the computer on the fans come on and that's it.
No Post
No Beeps
No HD Activation noise
No Lights

New Power Supply (No Change)
Removed the Modem (No Change)
Un-pluged the HD, DVD, CD-RW, & Floppy (No Change)

I think either the M.B. is dead or the processor.

One bit of information, when I opened the box there was so much dirt it looked like the computer had been used on a construction site.

Any Thoughts?

jdietz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

Well, did you knock all the dust and dirt out? I know I have seen a few cases that could grow gardens.

It sounds like you've narrowed it down... hard to say which is bad, teh board or the processor without changing one or the other out.

That isn't a very old machine... could it possibly still be under warranty?
Posted Image

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:10 AM

Get some cans of compressed air and blow out the card slots, take out the RAM and clean those slots as well.
Remove the cpu and re-fit it (hopefully there is no dirt under there). Look for the jumper to clear the CMOS or remove the battery for five minutes. Replace the CMOS battery. Put the RAM back in (can you get a different stick to test?) and see what happens then.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:25 AM

Unplug all unnessary items from the motherboard, like front USB cables, and things like that. The only things that should be attached are the power button cables, and pwoer cables. Try that, then take out the memory sticks and if the computer does not beep at all then at means the mother board is shot. If it does beep then that means it is looking for the memory and then it could very well still be the motherboard or processor. The big thing is that this board has built-in graphics so that may have gone bad, maybe so this prolly will be a bad motherboard.

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users