Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a USB monitor as the main monitor?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:30 AM

Hi guys. I've actually got two questions: The first is, can you use a USB secondary monitor as your computer's primary monitor? I've come across some odd little USB monitors that get all of their power and the video signal via USB, and this kind of monitor would be absolutely ideal for the home file storage/dedicated game server I'm building. My only question is, can these sorts of things be used as the computer's primary (and only) monitor? I'd like to make sure before I buy one and discover it has to be used in conjunction with a traditional monitor. In particular, I was looking at this one for the price and non-space-consuming stand, but if anyone has a better recommendation I'd appreciate it: http://www.outletpc.com/uz1624.html

The second question is, if you CAN'T use a USB monitor as your primary, do they even make regular D-Sub/DVI monitors that small? The smallest traditional screens I've been able to find are about 15'' wide, which is far too large as I'm looking for something tiny for my home file storage/dedicated game server box that I can tuck away on my desk. Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

For using the USB monitor for your primary video source your Bio's would need to support Video over USB otherwise you won't be able to see anything during the boot process. The monitor you have chosen is made specifically as a secondary monitor. In Windows you can select the video to be duplicated to the second monitor (mirroring the primary). You won't see anything on the screen until windows loads the video drivers and you would need to set it up with a primary monitor attached. You can also use a Lilliput USB monitor that can be configured in Windows as the primary monitor (you will need at least Windows XP with SP2 installed)

Edited by Sneakycyber, 27 May 2011 - 01:36 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users