Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wont boot.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BloodCri

BloodCri

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:03 AM

Funny story I have here. I was just playing a game when I leaned back to stretch. The heel of my shoe got caught on the cord for the keybord of all things, jerking the computer hard when I pulled my foot back. It of course crashed and restarted but when I get to the part where the windows 7 logo should be, it stays there for a brief moment before bluscreening with a single line of text.

*** STOP: 0x0000005c (0x00003000, 0x00000002, 0x00001009, 0x00000000)

I'm not sure what to do. Yes I tried booting from the disk. It just sat on the windows 7 logo screen for 30 minutes not doing anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

Can you get to the Advanced Boot Options by clicking F8? You will want to start clicking of F8 as soon as you start the computer and continue until either the Advanced Boot Options page opens, or you get the BSOD.

If you can get to the Advanced Boot Options click on Last known good configuration. If this doesn't work there other avenues of approach.

Regarding your attempt to boot from the disk. In order to boot from a bootable CD you may have to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the DVD/CD-ROM is the first device in the order. What disk were you trying to boot from?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 BloodCri

BloodCri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

The DVD I installed windows from. And I know I can boot from the DVD i've done it before for past problems. I honestly think that by jerking the cable in the back I damaged the RAM or something RAM related considering how low the numbers are and the very unpleasant cracking sound I got when the cable was jerked. (i intend to get new hardware anyway soon.)

The BIOS is set correctly to boot from a cd/dvd. It just doesn't. The windows logo screen pops up as well as the little loading bar (The logo picture itself is fickle and sometimes doesn't show up but I dont think thats related since its always done that) but then it just sits there and does nothing. I let it try to boot from disk for an hour. Didn't work. :(

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

Since you mention a wire keyboard I'm guessing that this is a desk top. I would check the other connectors on the rear to make sure nothing else was pulled loose.

Was the keyboard a PS/2 or a USB type connection?

If it was a USB type this shouldn't have caused a problem since these are suppose to be hot swappable, a PS/2 type is not hot swappable and may cause damage to the computer if it is unplugged while it is on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 BloodCri

BloodCri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

its a desktop and its a USB.

The keybord didn't come unplugged when it got jerked. it put all the torque on the box for the USB slots that sits on the motherboard. The more I think about it, the more I suspect this is a hardware issue, though everything looks plugged in just fine. Is there a way for me to determine if it was the ram or motherboard that was damaged? Are there anythings I should look for that could have been broken that most people miss?

Edit: Aaannnddd.... after some ram jiggling and kicking (and leaving it completely deprived of power for 18 hours) it seems to have booted. Anything I can make the computer do to check for any internal damages?

Edited by BloodCri, 15 May 2011 - 09:19 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:42 AM

Anything I can make the computer do to check for any internal damages?

Unless anything looked bent out of place when you checked the memory etc, just keep an eye on its operation as you use it normally, if it performs reliably it's cool.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users