Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ipad tutorial threw a curveball at me - help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ulrichburke

ulrichburke

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:03 AM

Dear Anyone.

Been given an Ipad. No manual, just an Ipad. I don't know the first thing about it or how you use it.

So I came here. And was reading how to connect to the Net, and was doing OK right up to the point it chucked the words 'router' and 'WIFI' at me. Now my desktop uses a router, but it isn't WIFI - it connects via a thick yellow wire that goes into a card in the back of the machine. The router itself has several spare holes in, can I plug the Ipod into one of those holes?

IF yes, HOW!?! The most USELESS aspect of an Ipod is its sheer lack of connectivity. No DVD player, nor anywhere to put one. No USB In, just that little tail of a USB Out. That's it. Where would I get a wire to plug its only socket into my router? I've looked, believe me, and can't find where to buy one. That's Part One of the curveball the manual here doesn't explain. OK. Here's Part 2.

If you need a router, how the heck do you connect to the Internet if you're outside with it, or can't you? There's nowhere to plug a dongle. I bought a Web'n'Walk dongle before I'd looked at it properly, so I could use it outside, but there's literally no hole in the machine to plug it into.

So is the thing useful for anything other than lining Steve Jobs' pockets while you buy stuff from Itunes with it connected to your nice, useful PC? Or can it, despite its awesome lack of connectivity, be thought of as a viable standalone gadget? At the moment, it's like having an intelligent, blind, deaf and dumb guy around. How do you access the intelligence?

Yours frustratedly - I'm beginning to understand why Apple's a niche market -

Chris.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:24 AM

What kind or router do you have?

#3 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

You can't hook it up to your router with an Ethernet cable (the yellow cord you were describing). If your router has wifi (wifi is wireless internet) then you can just go into settings (on the iPad) and connect. If not, you will need to get a wireless router (pretty much any router you can buy in a store will be wireless, but check the box to make sure). You don't need anything extra to connect to wifi networks when you are outside. The iPad has built in wifi so if you are, say, in Starbucks and want to connect, you can just connect without any extra "dongles."

#4 ulrichburke

ulrichburke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

Dear Everyone.

Especially lhamil!

The thing is - and as you'll have realised I'm NOT a geek! - I'm with Talk Talk. They let you have a dongle to use the internet from a laptop, or whatever, to use when you're outside. OK, the Ipad's got built-in wifi, I didn't know that. But as all the connection codes - he says vaguely, not knowing what he's talking about but trying to sound impressive - are stored in the dongle, as the dongle's designed to pick up Talk Talk's WiFi, decode it (assuming that's what the dongle's codes are doing, I dunno really, but it says 'all necessary codes are ready on the dongle' in the booklet) and then let the computer use it. Assuming all that's true, and you'll tell me if it isn't, if you can't plug the darned dongle into the Ipad, how can the Ipad use the web'n'walk time I've paid for?

The signals in hotspots are easy, they're not encrypted. I know the Talk Talk ones are, though I don't understand how - how do I get the Ipad to translate the codes if I can't put the dongle with the decoders into it? Do I crack the dongle somehow to get the codes out?

Yours baffledly

Chris.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

You can determine the router type by looking on it to identify the model number then provide that to us.

#6 ulrichburke

ulrichburke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

Dear Cryptodan.

You're going to need a lot of patience and even more subtitles here! I don't think you realise the sheer depth off noobism you're dealing with...

I'm outside, in a field, for argument's sake. With me I have an Ipad and a dongle filled with bought and paid for Internet time. I can't use the time as I can't insert the dongle into the Ipad.

Where's the router in that setup? Is the dongle now counting as the router? If I gave you the dongle's number - you'd have to tell me where to look for it - would, somehow, I be able to type it into the Ipad so I can use my legally paid-for Internet time?

I'm VERY confused dot com here - if the above sounds crazy to you it's because I don't know what I'm talking about technically speaking. I just know I've seen other people using their I-pads in non-hot-spot areas. So they must have bought Internet time. I've bought Internet time, but as all the details about the time I've bought are on this dongle, I can't use it. Is there a way of getting the details FROM the dongle ONTO the Ipad so I can use it outside? If I connected both the dongle and the Ipad to my PC, could I put the dongle information onto the Ipad via Itunes? That seems to be the only point of commonality between Jobs' world and reality!

Please, how do I do this?

Yours hopefully

Chris.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

First things first lets see how you connect to the net:

Modem > Computer

Modem > Router > Computer

Modem/Router > Computer

For internet access you would need some sort of cable coming from the wall to a device.

Trace that wire to the device and that could be your router/modem.

I have all the patience in the world when dealing with issues like this. I work Help Desk for the US Government.

#8 ulrichburke

ulrichburke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

Dear Cryptodan.

My PC - I know PC's world, it's this strange, alien world of Applemacs that's busting my brain! OK. I'm connected to the Internet from my home PC by a router which is connected to the computer via an Ethernet cable plugged into a PCI Ethernet card. I have Itunes installed. I think the router has wifi capabilities, but I'm not using wifi with it because that's a little like sticking your head out the window and shouting everything you're doing to the world.

If you've come across a lovely piece of software called Firesheep, you'll know what I mean. And there's more where that one came from!

My goal here is to learn how to use an Ipad to connect to the Internet when I'm out. So I can take it with me and use it instead of having to lug a laptop about. Thanks to being helped here, I understand how to use it in official hotspots, like bars that use free wifi to draw customers in.

In PC/Laptop land, I pre-buy Internet time on a dongle. I take the dongle into a phone shop and top it up every so often. That's when I'm using it on a PC. Of course, because Steve Jobs wanted to be SO sleek and streamlined, he forgot to put connectivity holes in his hardware. So I can't just go into the country, sit down and use the internet outdoors like I can with a laptop.

Or can I? Is there a way of pre-buying time for an Ipad that doesn't include dongles? Going on from that, as I'm - hopefully - not going to need the laptop any more, can I transfer the time I've paid for FROM the dongle TO the Ipad?

Now the only thing that Applemac and PCs seem to have in common, their sole point of unification, is Itunes, unless you know differently. So if I plug the dongle into one PC USB hole, and the Ipad into another one, can I transfer the time I've legitimately paid for FROM the dongle TO the Ipad so I can then use the Ipad anywhere I want until the paid-for time runs out?

Yours hopefully

Chris.

#9 ulrichburke

ulrichburke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

Sorry - brief addendum - it's wire/telephone in signal splitter on floor.The Internet umbilical goes from the router to one signal splitter socket, the telephone's in the other of the two sockets, the splitter itself goes into a phone socket in the wall.

Yours respectfully

Chris.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

Look on that device for a model number it will be on a sticker with a bar code on it. Was this router/modem provided to you by the ISP? If so what ISP do you have?

#11 ~Kal~

~Kal~

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Hi there

I've just got an ipad a month ago - bit tricky to get the hang of when you're used to windows. As has already been said, it's got built in wireless connectivity. For internet access when out & about I've put a pay as you go Micro sim card in - it's got to be on a cellular data plan which may be what your dongle is. It might be worth seeing if there's any way that you could see if Talk Talk have a micro sim available on a cellular data network, and whether you can transfer the money over from your dongle.

And once you are able to get onto the internet, the ipad user manual is online here - it's pretty basic but better than nothing!
Kal
Please bear in mind I'm in the UK so our timezones may not always sync.
If I'm helping you and haven't replied within 24 hrs please send me a pm

#12 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:13 AM

Wow the ipad was not made for you... I took me a minute to figure out that ulrichburke is in the UK or near there... I had very little idea what this Talk Talk dongle is until I was like OH its a prepaid wireless usb modem (The equivalant is sold by Virgin in the US). Yea you are not going to be able to use that with the ipad .. (insert picture of Steve Jobs giving you the finger). I don't know if the UK has the equivalant of the Verizon MIfi (more known as a mobile hotspot) but you are probably going to want to look into it if you want to leave the house and use the internet on the ipad without hitting one of the pubs with free wifi/hotspot.

It sounds like you are using a wired router - this will also not work with an ipad (insert different picture of Steve Jobs giving you the finger). You will need to get a wireless router and (secure it using WPA/WPA2) follow the steps in the manual to protect your network ... and then your neighbors or villians will not be able to use programs like firesheep to access your facebook/email and what not.

that is if you haven't already gotten tired of your ipad.

[Edit] if you wanted to go out into a field and browse the internet you would probably need something like this in the UK.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 10 June 2011 - 02:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users