Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usrclass.dat File

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mediokrates

Mediokrates

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

Hi all

This is in regards to my previous thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic395858.html

I am having a problem with my folder preferences in my XP Windows Explorer.

Every folder in My Documents is set to have a selected image (usually a jpg). Recently, I noticed that these settings were not holding. Random pictures are replacing the selected image; and, new folders are created with an image randomly and pre-selected. As well, whenever a change is made within a folder, its image changes or reverts to default. This also affects folders throughout the C:Drive.

I just tried the following:
I created a new account on my computer, and copied my entire picture folder over to it.
I then set folder preferences, selecting folder images.
I then moved files in and out, renaming a couple.
The selected folder image for the source folders remained intact.

However, when I still went into C:Drive, I could still see folders were prepopulated...

Anyway, this got me thinking this may be related to my current user account.

I'm curious what exactly the usrclass.dat files are for, locating in doc & settings - user - local settings - app data - microsoft - windows

I'm thinking this file contains all of my preferences for windows

If this is the case, perhaps it has become corrupted or damaged...

What would happen if I replaced it with a newly created copy, which I had taken from a newly created default account?

I assume all my windows preferences would be reset to default, but are there any dangers which could affect installed programs or start up?

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

Info at http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/usrclass-dat-issue-t1581363.html .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users