Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake XP Security Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jsv

jsv

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

I seemed to have successfully cleaned the fake XP Security Virus which I got earlier today (which I also had last month). However, Windows Security Centre won't allow me turn on Windows Automatic Updates. The red shield with the x is in my tray and clicking on it just results in it telling me that I must go through Control Panel -> System -> Automatic Updates. When I do so, nothing happens. When I try to go the microsoft website, it tells me that Automatic updates are turned off and suggests that I upgrade to Microsoft Update now. Clicking on it results in: "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem."

Another issue is that Microsoft Security Essentials isn't loading properly upon startup. I don't see the icon in the tray and it isn't updating properly. When I try to update, it says it failed due to internet or network connectivity issues. Error code: 0x80070424.

Do I still have a virus?

Edit: Moved topic from AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sathey

sathey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:42 AM

I think that it might have deleted your automated update service. Go here to install per microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883614 use method 2. If that does not work you will have to run a repair on your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users