Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple problems with computer - should I reinstall Win7?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mujibyepi

mujibyepi

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron desktop with Windows 7 64 bit. I purchased it in Oct 2010, and since getting it, I've had a series of sporadic problems that go way beyond anything I've previously experienced with a computer. I'm wondering - can a computer simply be a lemon? Should I start from scratch and wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall Windows? Would this possibly solve the problems? I'm kind of a computer novice, so I'd very much appreciate help and advice. This has been really frustrating, and I'm kind of regretting I bought this computer.

Here's a brief description of the various incidents:

1. Computer gave the message: The User Profile Service failed the logon. Following forum advice, I ended up solving this through a long series of actions that included logging on as administrator, booting into safe mode, and fixing the user account profile with multiple steps.

2. Several times (at least four times so far), the computer gives the message: "Location is not available", followed by "Failed to connect to a Windows service." Fortunately, so far, each time when I restarted my computer, things seemed to work again.

3. Several times (at least three times so far), the computer states that it is configuring my desktop and stays here for a while, then a dialog box comes up with the message: "c:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\destktop refers to a location that is not available ..." In these cases, I've restarted the computer and it resolves it.

4. Another time, when I logged in, most of the desktop icons were gone and I had to put these icons back on the desktop.

This seems so glitchy to me, and I've never had so many problems with a computer before and I'm feeling frustrated. I had my last computer for 6 years, and it worked great. Should I reinstall Windows? Is there some other problem with my computer? I hope I didn't get a bum computer. I really appreciate this forum - thanks in advance for any advice or help!

Peace, Christopher

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

My opinion ,it may just be the fastest and it is a sure thing.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

you may want to check the hard drive with a diagnostic program from the hard drive manufacturers web site. if the drive is developing bad sectors it could cause corrupt windows system files.

if drive checks out OK then reinstall windows.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:35 PM

Concur with boopme :).

But...since you've had problems since acquiring it...and you have had previous systems...I'd be thinking of warranty support if the issues are not related to you as a user.

All of the problems/situation you listed...could be caused by failing PSU, failing hard drive, damaged partition, damaged/failing hard drive, damaged Windows install, IMO.

If it were me, I would eliminate each...one by one, starting with the easiest, which is Windows.

Louis

#5 mujibyepi

mujibyepi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

Thanks a lot for your replies. I'll try to find a diagnostic program for the hard drive and then if that's not the issue, follow boopme's and hamluis' advice. I'll probably be visiting this forum again for assistance on these steps - I've heard reinstalling the operating system can be a bit difficult.

Thanks again!

Peace, Christopher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users