Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dabud

dabud

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:08 PM

i am thinking of upgrading my ram in a P4 2.4 mghz Asus P4S533-MX m/board.[2 slots - DDR DIMM, 2 slots SDR DIMM]
It presently has 2 512mb PC3200[200MHz] Kingston DDR-SDRAM
I can go up to 2 gig and the m/board manual says non-ECC pc2700/2100/1600 DDR or PC133/100 SDRAM DIMMS which i believe the difference is the number of pins [DDR DIMM 184 or SDR DIMM 168]

I went to the CRUCIAL memory site and they say PC4000 would be compatible with this machine. Since the manual says the highest is PC2700, but I am using [successfully] PC3200, is this a time thing that PC3200 is not mentioned in the manual [i am guessing, possibly, PC3200 was not available at time of m/board build]
My Question are:
Can different DDR DIMMS be mixed? [521 mb and 1.0 mb, brand names and numbers [PC3200 with PC2700]
Can I use PC4000 ?
Is PC4000 faster than what i now have? [noticably]
Any info would be helpful
thank you

e

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 utfreak

utfreak

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

i am thinking of upgrading my ram in a P4 2.4 mghz Asus P4S533-MX m/board.[2 slots - DDR DIMM, 2 slots SDR DIMM]
It presently has 2 512mb PC3200[200MHz] Kingston DDR-SDRAM
I can go up to 2 gig and the m/board manual says non-ECC pc2700/2100/1600 DDR or PC133/100 SDRAM DIMMS which i believe the difference is the number of pins [DDR DIMM 184 or SDR DIMM 168]

I went to the CRUCIAL memory site and they say PC4000 would be compatible with this machine. Since the manual says the highest is PC2700, but I am using [successfully] PC3200, is this a time thing that PC3200 is not mentioned in the manual [i am guessing, possibly, PC3200 was not available at time of m/board build]
My Question are:
Can different DDR DIMMS be mixed? [521 mb and 1.0 mb, brand names and numbers [PC3200 with PC2700]
Can I use PC4000 ?
Is PC4000 faster than what i now have? [noticably]
Any info would be helpful
thank you

PC4000 is indeed faster than your current ram. Different DIMMS can be mixed and all but your ram will work at the speed or the lowest ram. IE: 512 mb of pc2700 and 512 mb of pc3200. It will work at the speed of the pc 2700. That is why I do not like to mix ram speeds. As for the compatibility of pc 4000 with your machine I really do not know. It is wierd how the pc 3200 worked with said mobo so I do not know about the pc 4000. I'll look into it a little more.

Edited by utfreak, 03 January 2006 - 09:06 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:54 AM

You can mix all the RAM you want, in any way you want - subject to the limitations of the chipset on the mobo. It may even work if you exceed the specifications.

I'd suggest running intensive (ie - overnight or longer) memory tests with some of these free memory testers (you don't want the memory to drop/add a decimal point when balancing your checkbook!):

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:00 AM

No matter how fast a memory you have the overall system will only see the data at the speed of the frontside bus.

While faster memory will improve the amount of data in the core processes you yourself will only notice a little of that if at all. Remember it is processing data in nano seconds and your eyes can't work that fast LOL.

It is not so much the speed of the memory but the increase in memory capacity which increses the page file size which allows a large web page for example to be loadedand displayed almost instantly. The perception of speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users