Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A USB hub that's actually good?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

It seems every USB hub I've purchased either causes blue screens eventually or stops working well enough, even when I assign only the least power-consuming peripherals to it. Is there a known brand name/model of USB hub that's actually dependable? They usually have 4 ports, but less is okay too if it's an awesome hub. In case there's any confusion, what I mean by 'USB hub' is a device that turns one USB port into, usually, four. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

Look for a powered USB hub meaning it has a power supply that plugs into a wall socket instead of deriving its power from your computer's USB port. I've always had good luck with them.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

Look for a powered USB hub meaning it has a power supply that plugs into a wall socket instead of deriving its power from your computer's USB port. I've always had good luck with them.

That sounds like a great idea! I have yet to try one of those so I didn't even fully realize they exist. Thanks!

#4 billspice

billspice

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

ive got a dlink powered 4 port hub, its excellent, try one of them, cheap aklso

#5 1102

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

I have a Rosewill like this for several years now and it works just fine, I also have one of these by Belkin for probably over 10 years now-I've seen its price below $20 lately too, both hubs work well and both have their own power supplies which is best as a previous poster stated.

#6 lti

lti

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

Some "unpowered" hubs have a power jack for a power supply. If you could find a matching power supply, these could be used as powered hubs. One of the hubs you already have might have an optional power supply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users