Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading New Processor

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shroomer

Shroomer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:51 PM

My current processor

Processor Number Of Processors : 1
Type : Intel Celeron 330 2666 MHz
Processors Bus Speed : 533 MHz
Motherboard Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corp.
Model : 0TC667 Rev. Not Available
CPU Slot/Socket Type : mPGA-478
Chipset Vendor : Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P Rev. A2
Bios Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corporation
Bios Version : A02

The one i wish to upgrade to

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P42800D478&cat=CPU

And, I have a dell so i dont know if theres anything "special" i have to do because of this. and because of my new skills to computers, how would i go about taking the current processor out?

PICS of pc

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8900/myprocessor5jm.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8833/insidemypc207ud.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4753/insidemypc0rp.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Shroomer

Shroomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

o come on, i know someone knows

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:14 PM

Well, I do & I don't ... :thumbsup:

I've had success in several hardware mods, even involving Dells,
but I am always cautious about advising in matters I don't have exact knowledge of.

You propose to swap the cpu, and retain the mainboard, essentially unchanged.

A Celeron 330 2666mhz with a bus speed of 533 mhz replaced with:
A Pentium 4 running at 2.80 GHz on a 800 MHz front side bus.

A couple other specs to consider are:
1 MB L2 cache
1.25V-1.400V

Physically, just carefully pull the old processor
off the mobo, replace it with the new,
add silver stuff,
a new heatsink & fan would be good ... and
power back on ... but what will happen? That is the question, basically.

Best scenario would be no overheating, no voltage problems, fan functioning and BIOS recognition of all components operating properly, which will allow the successful boot of windows.

I wouldn't want to be wrong with my advice.

So, I'd question each detail of difference.

One difference between your Dell and what I work on is their BIOS,
which now recognizes the present cpu.
Will it automatically change everything necessary when you swap cpus,
or will you be able to change those settings yourself?

You have everything backed up?
In case a problem develops?

o come on, i know someone knows
That someone is not me, and will necessarily be you when you do it ...
my best effort now is being a "second party opinion source".

Hang in there, Shroomer, more advice may yet be posted
that will answer both of our questions ...
or at least a significant percentage or the one that counts, huh?

Edited by phawgg, 04 January 2006 - 05:16 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 Shroomer

Shroomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:36 PM

thanks for the input

#5 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

You would be better off saving your money until you can buy a new motherboard as well. You see the Celeron and motherboard only have a FSB of 533mhz and the P4 has a 800mhz FSB. So while it would work with your motherboard (probably) it would be underclocked and you wouldn't be able to get 2.8ghz out of it because the FSB of the motherboard will limit that and since it's a Dell you can't overclock it either to compensate.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#6 Shroomer

Shroomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

although its a good thought, but since im not the best with computers, and getting a dell hdd to work with a mobo that isn't dell's is... well i was told u really have to know what your doing, which coincidetally, i dont.

a question: will i get the 800 bus speed, and the underclocking will only effect just clock speed?

#7 Tech-Geek

Tech-Geek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

Hi,
I build and repair computers for a living, and in my professional opinion. Its not worht upgrade a Dell usually, you just end up sinking more money into it than what its worth. If your thinking about switching your processor anyways I'd suggest building your own PC. You can find good places to buy parts online using froogle.com or just asking your geekiest friends. If that sounds a bit to scary to try consider going to a custom PC place. Their are many small computer shops that custom build PC's. Just get a phone book or even look online. These places order standard mother boards that contain normal headers etc that make it easier to expand later. Also you can get exactly what you want.

Also the bus speed would drop which in turn would drop the processor speed. Stay away. It'd be throwing good money at bad.

#8 Shroomer

Shroomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

ive built a computer before, but i dont have that kind of money now, nor will i have to spend on this kind of a project.

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

Please never say never to a build.

The price on that cpu was 150.00 wasn't it?

You can get a mainboard, the same saize as your Dell case perhaps, and buy the retail board and chipset version (get the processor & mainboard together) for less than that just by carefully determining what is available (and "last years" finest will go on sale) and what will work.

Use your present HDs.
Use the PSU in your present case

The trick is the OS.
The one you bought installed on the Dell may or may not work with the new mainboard, again those BIOS issues and how the OS was installed originally.

Please allow for furthor help from professionals like Tech-Geek and concerned members like welco to steer you in a direction that really will be in your best interest.
It takes some trust & just ask the questions that are unclear to you.

I ask the questions myself, too. How to make the Dell load of the Microsoft WinXP work again?

That OS in Home version retails at about 75.00 now if all else fails .... depending on where you look.

Edited by phawgg, 04 January 2006 - 10:11 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 Tech-Geek

Tech-Geek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:42 AM

Hello Again,
Although some might say this is more a personal preference than a real choice, I'd say go with AMD processors. The Ghz rating might not be as big as some intel but AMD rocks due to efficient pipes, and also low heat generation. The newest intels put out enough heat to cook with (only a slight exageration)
Also 150 will go pretty far for a AMD processor, also if you are looking for a good place to get cheap parts look at going with Newegg.com (i'm not affiliated with them in any way.) I've had nothing but good luck with them and they take returns quicly with a small estocking fee.
One last thing also, you may want to check your Dell power supply, I've depending on your model your power suppy may be non standards compliant. I'd reccomend searching its model number and trying to find out if its putting out the right voltages on the right pins, some one may correct me later but I've found that many big PC vendors use non-ATX standard connectors. Which means your stuck buying from them or a company who makes PS's to that standard (both suppliers will charge a premium for the non-spec PS's) Thats also a great reason to build your own, you know it will meet the specifications you need.

BTW I did some quick Searching on Newegg.com for you

Foxconn 3GTW-01 Black/Silver Computer Case w/PS ........35.99
ECS K8M800-M2 Mobo Mini-ATX........................................49.99
AMD Sempron 64 2500+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754.68.00

Total 153 + S/H.

For that you can get a blazing computer started. If you don't need the case/PS (can make it work in the dell) you can get it even cheaper.

Edited by Tech-Geek, 05 January 2006 - 10:44 AM.

#11 Shroomer

Shroomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

but wouldn't my dell hdd not work with that mobo or would it be a simple reformat, and i may need to get new ram

Edited by Shroomer, 05 January 2006 - 04:39 PM.

#12 Tech-Geek

Tech-Geek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

Your HDD will work with ANY motherboard you can get most likely. This supports the newest standards but its backwards compatiable with older standards that your HD might hava. It also supports SATA Drives. Memory might be a questions, I believe it is backwards compatible the motherboard above as a example supports PC3200 which runs at 400mhz. If your Dell is a Dimension 3000 (Just guessing) it ships with 400mhz memory. As for Windows installation, it might be a bit harder but should work. (Check this site http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-2...-from-DELL.html for more details).
(Note to admins it is not piracy if you use hid key to activate the computer OS.)
I'd say do some research on your own and go for it! Ditch the Dell and go with some real CUSTOM power.

#13 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

Geek has it right on. Most likely your hard drive (the only thing you might have to replace is the IDE cable), RAM, and PSU should work with a new system and I would surely go with AMD. Right now they're cheaper, more efficient, and cooler running. You will probably need to reinstall windows because you're using a different chipset, processor, and there's a bunch of other things far more complicated.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#14 Shroomer

Shroomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:27 PM

im gonna look into this new pc stuff, but i would feel kind of bad doin this cause my dad just got me this dell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users