Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuing Problems after using MS Removal Tool Uninstall Guide

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sam W1

Sam W1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

Yesterday (May 13, 2011) I was struck by the MS REMOVAL TOOL malware infection. I followed the guide you posted here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-ms-removal-tool to the letter with one exception -- I did not find an unauthorized proxy server connection to disable because one was not displayed there.

After completing all the steps, I found most of my desktop folders and files were still hidden from view. I ran the UNHIDE program, because it worked for me a couple of weeks ago when I had the similar System Tool malware infection. UNHIDE seemed to work well this time too, until I attempted to do a System Restore today. I wanted to do a System Restore to an earlier date in an attempt to make certain that my PC was in an uninfected state.

When I followed the path to Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools I found that System Restore is no longer available to me. Neither are Disk Defragment and Disc Cleanup which are usually in that list of System Tools.

In fact, almost all my Start Menu programs are hidden or their folders are showing (Empty)

As I am watching GMER run, I can see that many of these programs are still on my system because GMER is scanning its components and support files. Both MalwayrBytes abd Microsoft Security Essentials show my system clean at this point. But given that I cannot find my installed programs or do a System Restore, I am certain that this PC is either still infected or permanently damaged.

What are my options? I am unsure whether to post my logs. Your users guide says to, but the rules for this forum say not to. I will appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sam W1

Sam W1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

This is a Windows XP Professional system. Sorry for the omission

#3 kdeidaho

kdeidaho

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:42 PM

I have the exact same problem and have spent all day getting rid of MS rmoval tool. Now my desktop has disappeared. How did you UNHIDE? I can get to desktop from the "my computer" on the start menu only. thx.

#4 thecatinthehat

thecatinthehat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:44 PM

I have the same issue as well. No tool find finds a virus but my Start Menu is still messed up. I ran unhide.exe and it got some of them back but not all.

What is more concerning to me is that System restore does nto work no matter what recovery date I choose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users