Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think My Computer Got Infected With A Vicious Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 felinepeachy

felinepeachy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:49 PM

Last month I tried to download free music. You know the old saying,"If you sleep with dogs you're bound to get fleas" well I got something on my computer that wiped it out.

After I was done attempting to download the music, Iran my spysweeper to make sure I got rid of any spyware crap that may have jumped on board. For some reason it took forever. Anyway, when it was done running it said there were over 5000 instances of spyware. I was shocked because normally it may be one or two that show up. I clicked the "remove" button and that took so long that I left it running and went to bed. The next day I got up and checked the computer. It had a message on it saying, "You must restart your computer to finish removing the spyware" When I clicked the "restart now" button, all hell broke loose. All of a sudden my screen turn blue and it started scrolling through every file on my computer. Little did I know it was deleting everything.

I tried to get on line but it said the program I was trying to access had been uninstalled. I tried to run my anti-virus and it said it had been uninstalled. EVERYTHING I tried to open said the same thing, It was all gone. EVERYTHING!!!!!Has anyone heard of this happening? I was in shock, it brought a tear to my eye. Then I got pissed. Does it sound like a virus? :thumbsup:
Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:56 PM

Sorry to hear that but there is much i can do to help you here....... how bout trying to get into safe mode? If u can get in, try doing a restore and remove the music file. Another thing is do not do scan in batches.....thats the last thing on your mind......do it on shcedule in batches.....lower your risk. However, you mistakes or misadventure is a good lesson to everyone.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

Sounds pretty bad! Yes, it sounds like a particularly vicious virus. The first thing to do is to see if your system can boot. If not, then try pressing F8 repeatedly when Windows starts to load (to get into Safe Mode). If you still can't get in - let us know and we can work on fixing it.

If it truly has deleted everything on your system - then the fix is actually rather simple. You'll need to do a low-level format and then a clean install of your operating system. But, that can wait until we see where you're at (and can, hopefully, recover some of your files).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users