Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor running high while idle

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SNW

SNW

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

My processor constantly overheats and shuts down my computer i have a giant fan on the outside of my computer to try to keep it down. 80% percent of the time it's fine with cpu usage around 2-8% but occasionally for no reason it will jump to around 25-40% for some time and my cpu temp goes from 50C to above 110C (unless i have the huge fan on) Please help their is nothing running and i have no idea why it's doing this it didn't do it the first 7 months i had it and all of sudden it does it like crazy the past 2 months or so.

Its a AMD Phenom 365

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lti

lti

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

It sounds like the heatsink isn't making contact with the processor. There are many things that might cause this. The heatsink mounting bracket might have broken, causing the heatsink to hang in the air without actually touching the heatsink. The thermal paste could be very poor quality, causing it to become an insulator after a few months.

#3 SNW

SNW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

It sounds like the heatsink isn't making contact with the processor. There are many things that might cause this. The heatsink mounting bracket might have broken, causing the heatsink to hang in the air without actually touching the heatsink. The thermal paste could be very poor quality, causing it to become an insulator after a few months.

think it might be the thermal paste then. i just used what came with it and when i took everything off to dust it looked as the paste was dried and flakey and not connected anymore.. Thanks i'll try re-attaching it with some new paste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users