Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive being accessed constantly,...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kerickson

kerickson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

Hi all, I have a week-and-a-half old desktop. I like the system, but I'm having what I hope is a minor problem that can be fixed. I want to preface this post with a forewarning that I'm not very knoweldgeable about computers, and this will likely be reflected in the language that I use. I have run the Belarc Advisor, and I'll first give you my basic system specs before I delve into the specifics of the problem:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)
Processor: 3.20 Ghz Intel Core i7 960
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1 TB - 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s
RAM: 6 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1 GB

If you need more information about my system, I'll be glad to provide it. Also, I'm using a HDTV as my display using an HDMI cord.

I've been having a problem with my hard drive since Wednesday, 05/11. Early Wednesday, I downloaded a few Youtube videos in .flv format using the Savetube website. Then, I installed FLV Player. All seemed well when I left the computer for a few hours. However, when I came back to the comp early in the evening, I could hear the hard drive making the usual sound it does when it's being accessed, only it makes that noise nonstop.

The HDD access indicator light also flashes on and off constantly.
I believe this is only the case when I'm running Windows. It does not occur when the system is booting up.

I let the problem persist for a day before I started to address it. The first thing I did was install the antivirus and antispyware programs that I had been meaning to install. The programs I'm using are AVG Internet Security 2011 and SUPERantispyware Professional. I ran scans with both of these, and they say my sytem is free from any viruses/malware. The
second thing I did was open the Computer window on the taskbar and right click on drive C, click "Properties," and choose the "error-checking" option under the "Tools" tab. I checked both the "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" options.

Next, I restarted and let the scan take place over the next couple of hours. The scan reported no problems with the drive.
Next, I started searching the web for problems similar to mine. I watched a few Youtube videos of the sounds hard drives make before they crash. Specifically, I watched this video of a Hitachi Deskstar's "click of death":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObFaluqo8eA.

I don't believe the sound I'm hearing is the same as the one in this video, even though they sound similar. The sound I'm hearing is identical to the sound of a hard drive reading or writing, which I'm very familiar with.

After this, I looked at a few threads on forums where people had similar problems. The first thing I did was go to the Computer window and right-click on Drive C again. I cut off file indexing for Windows and all of its folders and files. It would not allow me to cut off indexing for system files. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Then, I checked how much of my CPU's power and RAM were being used via Task Manager. The percent usage of my CPU varies, falling between 1-10%. 40-50% of my RAM was being used. I checked the Processes tab under task manager, and I added the "I/O Reads" tab. Sorted from most reads to least reads, SUPERantispyware reads the most followed by several instances of iexplore.exe. I suppose the latter is due to me browsing using multiple tabs in Internet Explorer 9.

Also, here are all the programs I've installed since the day the problem began:

05/11/2011 FLV Player
05/12/2011 AVG 2011
05/12/2011 Windows Live Essentials
05/12/2011 Bing Bar
05/12/2011 Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
05/12/2011 Visual Studio 2008 x64 Redistributables
05/13/2011 SUPERAntiSpyware
05/14/2011 Belarc Advisor 8.1

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is a problem with software accessing the hard drive, whether my hard drive is in the early stages of crashing, or whether this is some other problem. Hope I've provided enough information. Any help would be appreciated. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users