Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Tray

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dabud

dabud

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

hi
I'm having a problem with the icons in my system tray.
sometimes they are there and sometimes not.
i try to keep these icons to a minimum but i think the security ones should be there.
i also try to keep start up items to a minimum.
i have a P4 2.4 mgz, 1 gig ram, running Windows XP SP2, AVG 7.0, spybot [incl. tea timer], AnalogX Port Blocker, spyware blaster and Peer Guardian 2.
The ones that consistently don't show are AVG and Spybot's Tea Timer.
I can always Cntrl Alt/Delete to check if these processes are running [they always are] but would rather correct the problem if I can .
I am not really sure how the system tray works, perhaps i can reinstall a dll or something
Any suggestions?
Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:01 PM

I am in search of a solution for your problem, however, i see that you have software that performs the same function..... Take my advice, just install one particular software for a purpose....say if your anti virus is cater for virus scan and spyware removal, you do not need any more spyware removal. In my line of job, i have user who do not know anything, just install multiple software that performs same fucntion...e.g adaware, spybot, spydoctor...etc ..... It caused their system to lag and some even had their quick launch disappear till i had to maually install the script for them.....so do take note....even for firewalls too...... check that your system had a particular software that performs one particular function..
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:08 PM

Are you sure that they're not just being hidden by the task bar? Try clicking on the little << marks at the left side of the system tray to see if they're still there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 dabud

dabud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:05 AM

to Zener
I understand that i maybe a little top heavy on the anti whatever stuff [probably paranoia related] but from what i understand none of them conflict. maybe spybot and spyware blaster are unnecessary together however i was told to run them together.
I am not using a firewall [because of some constraints too lengthy to go into right now]
These programs do seem to help with the garbage.
Can you tel me which ones are not necessary? [from the ones i previously listed?
thank you

#5 dabud

dabud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:26 AM

to USAMA
i have the "Hide Inactive Icons" turned off because this "disappearing Icon" thing was happening when i had it turned on.
When I would set an icon to "always show" half the time it would and half the time it wouldn't
or if i set an icon to "always hide" i could be sure it would always be seen.
Even when i turned the feature off the icons come and go at will [whose will i don't know], hence the dll repair thought.
One of my thoughts is that one of my programs that start on Windows start up is interfering with whatever tells the system tray to open an icon of a particular program. I know these programs are starting because when I Cntrl Alt/Del into the Task Manager, it shows them as running.[sorry if this sounds jumbled]
Is there a way to check this?
thank you

#6 dabud

dabud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:20 AM

hi
just wanted to thank you for your help and tell you that i decided to uninstall Nero 7 Premium [unrelated issues to above problem] [or so I thot]
Its been a few days now and all the system tray icons are doing wot they are supposed to be doing.
I wonder wot in Nero could have caused this?
Or is it just coincidence?
Well thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users