Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Programs Wont Open After A Few Hours Of The Pc Running.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jason02

jason02

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:15 PM

im not sure why my pc is doing this, but for the last few months, it hasnt been performing like it used to.

heres the deal. i turn on my pc, and everything works fine.

i can run ie explorer, soul seek, limewire, etc....any program.

then after a few hours, i cant open any program.....

its like i will double click on the icon, and then nothing will happen.

i even use control+alt+delete and see that the program is technically running, but it just doesnt open...

what can i do? i paid alot of money for this pc and i have to keep restarting it every day and im afraid that can be wear and tear on my pc!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

What are the specifications of your system (what CPU?, how much RAM, how big a hard drive, etc)?

If it's a major brand, we can figger this out from the make and model of the computer.

What do you use for antivirus and antispyware protection? Do you have a firewall running?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jason02

jason02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

What are the specifications of your system (what CPU?, how much RAM, how big a hard drive, etc)?

If it's a major brand, we can figger this out from the make and model of the computer.

What do you use for antivirus and antispyware protection? Do you have a firewall running?

okay, i am running a:

HP Athlon XP 2.2 ghz
160 gig hard drive
512 ram

and i have used ad aware se and norton before with no success of solving this problem.

and i also have a firewall.

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:40 PM

What does your Memory and Cpu usage show when you hit Ctrl+Alt+Del? (Under the performance tab)
I would check it when you first boot up and then when you are having problems to see if the usage is higher later. If something is using up your resources, look under Processes and write down the Image Name and the cpu usage. Hope this helps some.

#5 jason02

jason02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:59 PM

What does your Memory and Cpu usage show when you hit Ctrl+Alt+Del? (Under the performance tab)
I would check it when you first boot up and then when you are having problems to see if the usage is higher later. If something is using up your resources, look under Processes and write down the Image Name and the cpu usage. Hope this helps some.

i checked that already and i dont really see anything hogging up the resources.

#6 bikeralley

bikeralley

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:32 AM

Ok I thought it was just me but i'm having the same trouble.
I have ran spy sweeper and it shows nothing.
I try to run spy bot and it just locks up.
What is going on here? :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Please start your own topic. So both topics can receive the attention they deserve. ~S

Edited by Scarlett, 05 January 2006 - 09:12 AM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:01 PM

i had this experience before...but mine is purely due to installation of service pack2. It caused my I.E ....and other programs not to pop up. After i uninstall SP2, everything went back to normal...... what had u installed previously? Check it out n revert.

Running XP without SP2 installed is leaving yourself open and exposed to all kinds of viruses and malware exploits as well as your allowing your computer to become a possible infection point for others.

Additionally, you cannot get additional critical updates without it and its absence can cause other programs in your computer that have been updated to be compliant with SP2 to malfunction.

If SP2 caused you problems, you probably had either programs written in noncompliant code and unupdated (which almost all now have been) or malware on your computer when you installed it, or both, and likely still do - especially the malware.

SP2 is a CRITICAL UPDATE, listed by Microsoft as absolutely necessary, and is primarily comprised of security enhancements - enabling your operating system's security - it is inoculation against certain infection. It provides patches for numerous known exploits and running without it is as reckless as speeding on an icy road with bald tires and defective brakes.

You are not only exposing yourself to the myriads of risks poised and ready to infect your own computer, but by not having it installed you increase exposure for all other users on the internet as well, especially for anyone in your address book.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 January 2006 - 01:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users