Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Physical Memory Usage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IonSlayer

IonSlayer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

Hello,

Recently I have been having issues with my computer locking up after exiting a full screen game and trying to open any other full screen game. I am fairly confident that it's a video card issue, but through looking through my task manager, I've found that my physical memory usage is at 65% of 4GB (2.65GB) when I'm not currently running any major applications (Currently just internet explorer). I don't know if this is too vague of a problem, but any insights would be wlecome.

-Chris

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 IonSlayer

IonSlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

I really appreciate the help.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/drhcnCBU57ZCBh1PFfz3Bgd

Edit: Not sure if this helps at all, but I can provide a few extra details. After my computer locks up and I restart, I now will only find that my Physical Mem. usage is only around 1.6GB. If I exit a game such as WoW or Rift, it doesn't matter if I let my computer sit for an hour, as soon as I try to open any other full screen app. the systems will stop responding. It's just highly inconvinient to have to restart after each game played.

Edited by IonSlayer, 14 May 2011 - 08:48 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

I would remove the Catalyst Control Center, and see if that helps at all.

#5 IonSlayer

IonSlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

No such luck, disabled it on startup and it seems like I'm still getting the same issue.

Thanks for trying though. I think it's more likely a video card issue (I had problems when I first got the laptop, but I don't think it was ever fixed properly), but I'll just live with this for the moment until I can afford to look into getting a new machine.

Edit: It seems to have something to do with screen resizing, but I'm not exactly sure what the issue is. I can open up Warcraft III and minimize, exit, reload, minimize and everything works fine. But if I load up WoW or Rift and exit, then even if I wait 10 minutes, if I boot up Warcraft III and then minimize, when I go to bring it back to full screen mode, my computer locks up.

Edited by IonSlayer, 14 May 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

Hello,

Recently I have been having issues with my computer locking up after exiting a full screen game and trying to open any other full screen game. I am fairly confident that it's a video card issue, but through looking through my task manager, I've found that my physical memory usage is at 65% of 4GB (2.65GB) when I'm not currently running any major applications (Currently just internet explorer). I don't know if this is too vague of a problem, but any insights would be wlecome.

-Chris

Just fyi, ram usage is not the issue. As a rule, the more ram your system utilizes, the more efficiently it is running.

Edited by Allan, 14 May 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

No such luck, disabled it on startup and it seems like I'm still getting the same issue.

Thanks for trying though. I think it's more likely a video card issue (I had problems when I first got the laptop, but I don't think it was ever fixed properly), but I'll just live with this for the moment until I can afford to look into getting a new machine.

Edit: It seems to have something to do with screen resizing, but I'm not exactly sure what the issue is. I can open up Warcraft III and minimize, exit, reload, minimize and everything works fine. But if I load up WoW or Rift and exit, then even if I wait 10 minutes, if I boot up Warcraft III and then minimize, when I go to bring it back to full screen mode, my computer locks up.

Sounds to me like you are over loading your video card, and its unable to keep it. It also appears to me that your issue could be related to over heating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users