Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't know what adapter I need

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:25 AM

I recently had a buddy give me an old Thinkpad, 770, that does not work. I pulled the HD out, to get some files off of it, but I don't have the right adaptor for it. I have an adaptor for USB to IDE, but this HD is not IDE. It's cable socket is smaller.
Does anybody know where I can get an adaptor for it? I'd like to get the files off, I have no idea what kind of socket it is, as in what it's called. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:57 AM

I recently had a buddy give me an old Thinkpad, 770, that does not work. I pulled the HD out, to get some files off of it, but I don't have the right adaptor for it. I have an adaptor for USB to IDE, but this HD is not IDE. It's cable socket is smaller.
Does anybody know where I can get an adaptor for it? I'd like to get the files off, I have no idea what kind of socket it is, as in what it's called. :blink:

its has to be a ide or sata drive ,look for usb to sata adapter

edit:
i google the laptop and its really old .it must be a ide with a special adapter on it to fit the thinkpad , you should be able to remove it .i would think it can be just pulled off and it will reveal the ide plug under it
just google a bit more ,is it in a silver case ,maybe it need to be removed from the case to revel the ide connection.
ok i google ev en more .lol
it is wat was called a EIDE ,so im not sure if it has an adapter on it or not ,actually not even sure of the difference between eide and ide

Edited by caperjac, 14 May 2011 - 07:25 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

What is the HDD mfr and model number?
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

OK,
HERE is a pic of the drive. It's an IBM, the info I found on it is;
5.1 GB
FRU P/N 12J0449
ASM P/N 12J1972
12J1969

I tried to google those numbers once and didn't come up with anything. The plug on the drive is 1 1/4" wide. It's kinda hard to tell from the pic.
Thanks.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

to me it looks line the drive is inside the metal case and could be removed ,to reveal the ide connection

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

I think caperjac is right. What you have pictured is a caddy, the drive is inside. According to what info I have found, inside the caddy should be a 2.5" PATA/IDE drive. You should be able to attach that to a regular IDE connection.

Edited by strolln, 14 May 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

Thanks guys,
I'll give that a shot later today, or tomorrow, when I get the chance. :thumbup2:
Ronald Reagan

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:50 AM

Well, you were right, it is in a caddy. I pulled it out, but, my IDE adapter will still not fit. It's like the top and bottom rows of pins are at a different spacing than my adapter is.

I looked at my adapter and it is supposed to fit 2.5" drives, so I guess I'm stuck. I'll look around to see if there is another adapter that might work.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

#9 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

Maybe you need an adapter like this: 44-pin 2.5" IDE or this: Laptop to IDE HDD adapter

Edited by strolln, 17 May 2011 - 12:02 PM.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

Well, you were right, it is in a caddy. I pulled it out, but, my IDE adapter will still not fit. It's like the top and bottom rows of pins are at a different spacing than my adapter is.

I looked at my adapter and it is supposed to fit 2.5" drives, so I guess I'm stuck. I'll look around to see if there is another adapter that might work.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

is the pin count different on the 2 connections

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:16 AM

strolln,
your first link, I already have 2 of those. I'm going to check out the other adapter tho, thanks.

caperjac,
the pin count is the same, it just seems like the space between the upper and lower rows is different. I'm going to check out the adapter strolln has a link to. It looks like it might work.

Thanks again!
Ronald Reagan

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:30 AM

strolln,
your first link, I already have 2 of those. I'm going to check out the other adapter tho, thanks.

caperjac,
the pin count is the same, it just seems like the space between the upper and lower rows is different. I'm going to check out the adapter strolln has a link to. It looks like it might work.

Thanks again!

i use to have an adapter like that [broke it actually,and they will both be the same size had both typed ].wore it out ,and i have never seen a laptop dive it didn't fit .weird

Edited by caperjac, 18 May 2011 - 04:31 AM.

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

caperjac,
THIS is what I have now, I ordered one of the others, just to see if it's any different. I'll find out when it gets here. I've always been able to hook up to any HD with what I have, until now... :blink:
Ronald Reagan

#14 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

caperjac,
THIS is what I have now, I ordered one of the others, just to see if it's any different. I'll find out when it gets here. I've always been able to hook up to any HD with what I have, until now... :blink:

yeah ,i had one like that ,but it worked with all ide hdd that i ever hooked it to ,even older ones , the one i have now doesn't have ide only sata 2.5 and 3.5, like this one .
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1268&ID=1731

Edited by caperjac, 18 May 2011 - 11:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users