Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Professorbed

Professorbed

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:00 AM

Hi, I have a Dell Studio 540PC and i have noticed recently the computer has got a little noisier in its running than it was. A few weeks back it started to make a whirring noise now and again as if it was starting up, so i took off the panel and got rid of any excess dust i could see (wasnt much) and that seemed to do the trick, but i have noticed now the machine is louder than it used to be. Any thoughts? Is this cause for concern?

The PC though still works perfectly well and works to an excellent standard, i just want some advice to try and nip any problem in the bud. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:27 AM

Probably the commonest cause of a noisier PC with age is a fan bearing getting noisy, although hard drives can also become louder. Can you locate the louder sound with the case open?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Professorbed

Professorbed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

Wow thanks for that lightning fast response.

Having had a look inside the machine as it was running, i think the main noise comes from one of the fans. The hard drive area does vibrate after a couple of minutes after powering on. I usually resolve this by just 'squeezing' the sides of the machine. This is because i had to have a new hard drive installed in December after the last one 'went kaput' so to speak, and it has done that more or less ever since it was installed. Though Im sure the hard drive is a little louder than has been.

The noise is not deafening or anything like that. Just that when something has gone wrong before, like on mine, you notice these things more. Oh, the machine itself is nearly 2 years old.

Thanks

#4 Byuntae

Byuntae

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

Most likely it is just the fan, usually around the 2 year old age something starts to go wrong on all my computers, video card for the last one, cd drive for the one before, I hope this one its just a noisy fan =P

#5 Professorbed

Professorbed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

Thanks very much for the advice, ill get a new one in readiness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users