Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop was stolen

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ktulu

Ktulu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:48 AM

Well, what the title says. I'm glad that I backed up some of my files to my external HDD.

If the person who stole it logs on to the internet, does the IP address change? Or does it stay the same?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:05 AM

Your laptop will acquire whatever IP address is allocated for the connection by the thief's ISP.

Edited by Platypus, 14 May 2011 - 05:09 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Ktulu

Ktulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:08 AM

You laptop will acquire whatever IP address is allocated for the connection by the thief's ISP.

I'm pretty sure the thief and me have the same ISP. I have just found out what the IP was for my laptop.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:21 AM

What are you meaning when you say IP? Your laptop doesn't have any inherent IP address, do you mean the laptop NIC's MAC address?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:41 PM

Im sorry someone did this and i hope you can recover it :)

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:06 AM

unless you have a fixed IP, your IP will change every single time you log onto the internet. And even if it doesn't have static, that is something that you will use through your router-even if the thief gets on on the same ISP, he would get a different IP. The number that never changes is your MAC address. And how do you know the thief is using your ISP?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

Good point High Tech Redneck. How does one know?

#8 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

Reminded me of this.....might install it now.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

+1 mrfingerz
Everyone reading this thread on a laptop should
use Prey. It also works on Android phones.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:11 AM

You can find your IP in your network properties. And even there, here is where the misconception might come in where people think their IP stays the same-if your computer is on a home network, the modem/router assigns each computer a seperate IP address. That IP address, stays the same, but that isnt the IP address that shows up on the internet, that is the modems IP address, and if you have whats called a dynamic IP, which most ISPs assign, it will change every single time you log onto the internet. If you unhook your computer from that home network, and hook it up to a different network, on the other side of town, that router will assign your computer a completly different IP, which is why it makes it impossible to track a stolen computer by IP. Programs like prey, are very useful for tracking down stolen computers, one of the few ways. the other way, is to write down the mac address, and hope the thief tries to pawn it off at a pawn shop where you can compare mac addresses. The Computers MAC address, is motherboard specific, and in most cases, cannot be changed, however, its not publicly displayed over the internet. Its still accessible, if you know what your doing, but is nowhere near as easy to find.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 Beathalor

Beathalor

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:53 AM

That really sucks that someone stole your laptop, Hope you get it back.

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

I think they make a lojack for laptops just like they do for a car.

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

I think they make a lojack for laptops just like they do for a car.

They do. We use it at work. http://www.absolute.com/en/lojackforlaptops/home.aspx

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 pacificdenizen

pacificdenizen

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:53 PM

I am sorry about your laptop.

Have you seen this story? http://thisguyhasmymacbook.tumblr.com/

#15 hockeysocdad

hockeysocdad

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

I have a similar problem ....Laptop stolen and did not have prey or lojack installed.
I know it is a longshot, but is there simple s/w that can scan for the signal from the computer by driving in the vacinity? ...Good possibility the computer is still in the area. If the Computer is still on and it is searching or communicating with a WiFi?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users