Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Tweaking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:55 AM

As we Win98 users know,you can set the "Typical Role of your PC" in the Control Panel.

The usual tweak is to set it to "Network Server" for increased file-system performance,however you can add one more choice: "Powerful PC" which will give your file-system an even further boost.

"Powerful PC" sets VFAT (the Virtual File Allocation Table in RAM) so that it will remember about twice as many files and folders as the "Network Server" setting.

Back up you Registry and Close all your running programs.

Highlight the text below and press Ctrl+C to copy it.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Powerful]
@="Powerful PC"
"NameCache"=hex:a0,0f,00,00
"PathCache"=hex:80,00,00,00

Open Notepad and paste it into a new file called 1.reg (Or whatever.reg)

Make sure everything on the line that starts with "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE....\Powerful]" is on one line..Also make sure that there is one carriage return(enter) after the last character in the text you paste.

Close your text editor and locate your new REG file. Right click the file and select Merge from the context menu,reboot and then go to the Control Panel.

Right Click My Computer,click properties and then the Performance tab and click the File System... button.

Note the small window with the drop down menu. By default it will be set as Desktop Computer.

As stated above,normally you will have two other options: Mobile or docking system and Network server.

You should now have a third alternative to the default called Powerful PC. If you check this option you may see a significant performance increase under certain circumstances.

I have not tried this yet because i only have 56M of available Ram and im sure this uses a ton of ram!! (I have 64m but 8 megs are shared with my monitor)

I did have it set to NETWORK SERVER for awhile and that used more ram if i remember right (I finally put it back to Desktop)

Edited by 4dude, 14 May 2011 - 02:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MdPhoenix

MdPhoenix

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

Interesting. This is good info for the old 9x systems. I never knew. And I thought I knew everything about Windows 98.

Thanks for the tip!

#3 4dude

4dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:03 AM

Lets us know please if you try this,im tempted to try it and give it a day and see how my ram usage goes... (Im assuming the swap file will be huge doing this)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users