Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dvd drive driver issues

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:49 AM

Hi to all the good folks at BleepingComputer !
I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S1712, laptop with XP on it .
My dvd player won't play anything. If you put a disc in it, it will spin like it's trying to play the disc.
I looked in My Computer and the drive is not listed there. Only the "C" drive is listed there.
I went to Device manager and only ended up confused.
1rst off, there is a yellow exclamation mark on the dvd drive.
When I try to updaqte the driver, it says that I already have the best driver installed.
But, under Device staus, it syas that "Windows cannot load the devise driver for this hardware. The driver may be corruptued or missing. (Code39).
I went on Driver Agent.com and it shaows that the driver thats installed is the best choice.
I can't make any sence of this.
Anyone know what I should do ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:59 AM

Rather than trying to update the driver uninstall it and reboot the computer.

Optical drives are plug and play devices. The drivers they use are part of the Windows operating system, these are known as "native drivers". These can become corrupted for various reasons. When this happens just uninstall the driver, reboot the computer. When the computer start up the installation wizard will recognize the drive as new hardware and will install the appropriate drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

I uninstalled it twice. Once using it's original driver and then once when I got the right driver from Toshiba. I would uninstall the driver and then install the new one. When it rebooted, it showed that it "found new hardware" and tried to installed the "new hardware", but then said " a problem has occured during installation and that my new hardware wouldnt work properly"
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

How long ago did this problem develop?

What Toshiba driver did you install, and where did you get it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

I rarely use the drive so it's no telling how long the problem has been there. I just noticed it last week.
I went to the Toshiba downloads site and downloaded the dvd rom, driver for Windows Xp and that didn't do anything different. Could it be the physical drive ?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

Yes, it could be the drive itself. About the only way to really find out if it is would be to install it in another computer to see if it works.

Let's see if one of these helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116'> CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows .

Restart computer afterward.

The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules arenít removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives.

Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch.

Scroll down the page to Restore Missing CD Drive. Click on this to start the download.

Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.

or...

Go to Device Manager, click on the "+" sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

You will see two listings:

ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)

Right click on each of them and click Uninstall, then Confirm.

The Controllers will be automatically reinstalled after restarting your computer.

If the above won't help, most likely, you need a new drive.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

Optical drives do not need 3rd party drivers. The easiest way to see if the drive is working is to insert a BOOTABLE disc, make sure the drive is the first device in the bios boot order, and reboot. Does the system see the drive at boot? If not, replace it.

#8 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:04 AM

I went to the Microsoft site that Arachibutyrophobia listed abouve and downloaded the CDGONE patch. I ran it and rebooted and now the cd drive works perfect. Thanks to all for your input. I hope one day I can help y'all !!!!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

Good to hear that it is working again.:thumbup2:

#10 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

I thought I was done but now I went to do one last try and I have no volume. I was doing some Microsoft updates also. When I go into control panel and look under " SOUNDS and AUDIO DEVICES, it says " NO AUDI DEVICE". I tried to update the audio driver and it says " THE WIZZARD COULD NOT FIND A BETTER MATCH FOR YOUR HARDWARE THAN THE SOFTWARE YOU CURRENTLY HAVE INSTALLED. I went to Driver Agent.com and it syas that I have the best driver also. There is a yellow exclamation mark on the Realtek High Def. listing in the Device Manager. I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it. Nothing works. I have also went into SERVICES and made sure that Windows Audio is set on AUTOMATIC.
The cd drive will play the video but no audio.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:04 AM

1) DO NOT use third party apps OR Windows Update to obtain drivers. Drivers should ALWAYS be downloaded from the oem websites or, in the case of laptops, directly from the laptop manufacturer's website.

2) Sounds as though you have several issues. What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#12 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

There was a virus. I ran Malwarebutes and cleared it up. Then I done a few Microsoft updates, including a BIOS update. Then I cleared all my past restoere points. Next day, no sound and I can't restore.
I have went to Toshiba to get a driver. Uninstalled what was in there and installed the new driver. No sound.
This laptop used to have WinDvd and MusicMatch JukeBox and niether of those programs are "fully " there. I wonder if lossing parts of those programs might be part of the problem ?

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:45 AM

I typically avoid threads where the problems began with malware. I know you'll be told otherwise by people more knowledgeable than I, but as far as I'm concerned the BEST remedy for a significant infection is backing up all critical data and then formatting and reinstalling the OS.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

Although I'm not more knowledgeable than Allan, I agree.

For the time spent trying to "fix" systems which have become broken due to malware...where users "think" that the system is now rid of the malware...I favor a clean install.

Any file, whether in Windows or a given program...can become damaged at any time. The difficulty I see with malware is that users often have no clue as to what files may be damaged or how many.

When any one program develops a problem, it's usually either Windows or one or more files within the program. In that instance, the logical (IMO) thing to do is simply uninstall/reinstall the program...to further define the issue. If the issue still persists, it's probably one or more key Windows files used by the program.

With various programs, it becomes more complicated...since, IMO, hardware considerations must also be included in the list of suspects.

In any case...since your stated hardware problem is now solved, you need to start a new topic in the appropriate O/S forum, if you want to discuss your system issues, program issues, etc.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 May 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#15 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:01 AM

Ok, thanks to all who helped me. I will start a thread in the appropriate O/S forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users