Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:42 AM

Hi BleepingComputer Family !
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, 32 bits, with Windows XP on it.
There is a Windows Security Alert, in the bottom right cornner of the caomputer. It just says, when I open it, that my Automatic Updates are turned off. I go into the control panel, open up Automatic Updates and it is already set to " Automatic". It's already on.
The red shield in the bottom right, doesn't act like a virus. It just sits there and nothing happens.
Any ideas on how to make the Security Alert go away ?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated !
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:57 AM

Hi -
I am not exactly sure of what you mean by The red shield in the bottom right. This can be an infection or updates are not turned on.
This usually means that Updates are turned off. Change your settings to Download updates and let me choose when to install them.
If this will not change anything then follow the Malware directions below. There may be something blocking them.
Then try going to the Update site and Saving the update and installing them later.
Also update and scan with your A/Virus and Firewall, or turn them off while you update, as this can block updates.

Last resort is below -

Thank You -
Please repost in this area Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs
and follow the Directions Here

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 14 May 2011 - 04:00 AM.

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

I updated Malwarebytes and ran it. The problem is now gone. Sneeky virus ! Thanks to all who took the time to help me out ! I really do appreciate you !
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users