Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown virus/trojan/worm

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 figuarus

figuarus

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

i hate to be in this position again, but it seems like i have a major virus or trojan on my desktop.

first off, system info i guess.

windows xp professional
sp 3 version 2002
1g ram, 250gb sata hd.

and now some symptoms.

i came home to find a message stating something to the effect that the hard drive disk had crashed.

i closed the window, desktop went black, showed no icons, and all the start menu and program menu files/programs were listed as empty. i dug around until i found a way to access c drive and found that alot of the files (if not all of them in their entirety) have been property-changed to hidden.

the computer boots, but shows no evidence of either any scareware, adware, "virus alert" messages, or anything else of the sort. additionaly, it would appear that plug and play has been disabled as well as any other means of connecting usb drives, accessing the internet, and changing other settings.

at the moment, i've managed to reinstall SAS, Mbam, rkill, and spybot.

i've started things off by running rkill first, then used mbam (with a 7 day old database) and went to work.
i can't remember what the exact name of it was but all these scans have turned up the following names.

click.giftload
fraud.windowsrecovery
microsoft.windowssecuritycenter_disabled
backdoor.cybot.gen

i think there was one more, but i can't find the name to save my life.

think someone out here can help me? i need to fix this think very soon...

thanks in advance!

-john

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hello. something to consider before we use the guide. MBAM found backdoor.cybot.gen

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.

Please follow our Removal Guide here Remove Windows Recovery (Uninstall Guide) .
After reading how the malware is misleading you ...
You will move to the Automated Removal Instructions

After you completed that, post your scan log here,let me know how things are.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 figuarus

figuarus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:16 PM

i was really afraid of that. i think if that's the case, i will just end up reformatting it. is there any chance that i could transfer my music and pictures without any issues onto a second computer? I found the files without much trouble, but don't want to transfer it all back onto the computer if it's going to be a problem.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

He's a handy canned with info that should help/ music and pictures are usually safe.

Only back up your important documents, personal data files, photos to a CD or DVD drive, not a flash drive or external hard drive as they may become compromised in the process. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), autorun (.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml ) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executables inside them as some types of malware can penetrate compressed files and infect the .exe files within them. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by hiding a file extension or adding to the existing extension as shown here (click Figure 1 to enlarge) so be sure you look closely at the full file name. If you cannot see the file extension, you may need to reconfigure Windows to show file name extensions. Then make sure you scan the backed up data with your anti-virus prior to to copying it back to your hard drive.

If your CD/DVD drive is unusable, another word of caution if you are considering backing up to an external usb hard drive as your only alternative. External drives are more susceptible to infection and can become compromised in the process of backing up data. I'm not saying you should not try using such devices but I want to make you aware of all your options and associated risks so you can make an informed decision if its worth that risk.Again, do not back up any files with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

If you're not sure how to reformat or need help with reformatting, please review:These links include step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Vista users can refer to these instructions:Don't forget you will have to go to Microsoft Update and apply all Windows security patches after reformatting.

Note: If you're using an IBM, Sony, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. See Technology Advisory Recovery Media. If the recovery partition has become infected, you will need to contact the manufacturer, explain what happened and ask them to send full recovery disks to use instead..

If you need additional assistance with reformatting or partitioning, you can start a new topic in the Operating Systems Subforums forum.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users