Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In XP Pro can't turn off Windows Firewall or Turn on Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PhotoRay

PhotoRay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

Wife updated Norton twice and had two Norton Firewalls and Windows Firewalls running together. Paid twice for the 2 updates. Removed Norton Completely and then re-installed Norton 360 Security Version 5, but am still unable to turn off Windows Firewall under Windows XP Pro and also cannot turn on Automatic updates, getting message "we're Sorry, the Security Center could NOT change your Automatic Windows Update setting. To try changing these settings, go to SYSTEM in Control Panel. On the Automatic Updates Tab, select AUTOMATIC (recommended) and then click OK. None of this works, then tried using an app to reset Security Settings and that didn't work either. Any suggestions on what I try next. I would like to reinstall Norton 360 Internet Security Version 5, I know there are those out there that hate Norton and the overhead that comes with it, but over the years I've gotten used to it and I like it very much. Thank you, PhotoRay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

How did you remove Norton in the first place?

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,500 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

Did you run the Norton Removal Tool before you reinstalled it?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

FWIW: Symantec products and most others...automatically either disable the Windows firewall or advise that such must be dcne before installing the program.

It's possible to have two AV programs installed/running at same time (which creates a potential for system problems) but I don't know about two firewalls at the same time. I think it unlikely, based on the programs I have previously installed. I was a NAV/NIS user for a number of years around the turn of the century, so I'm pretty familiar with the configuration of such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users