Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't download using Firefox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 src33

src33

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

I can't download anything with Firefox. Images sent in emails won't even load. I tried to download Adobe and the screen changes then nothing happens. I click on the "if your download does not start automatically click here" and I get a "not responding" message at the top of the screen. I also get what seems to be a lot of "page loading errors" when I am surfing. Pages eventually load fine. Flash works fine. Just can't download. Anyone else have this problem?

I can download fine with IE. So I don't think it is my firewall. I prefer Firefox and would like to keep it as my browser but am not sure what to do. any tips would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

Do you have any add-ons on Firefox?

What happens if you right click and select "Save link as"?

#3 src33

src33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

I had a virus and removed all add-on and uninstalled/installed nearly everything, including Firefox, which I had to do through IE, if that matters.

Right click "Save Link As" link produces same result. I get the hourglass, I wait, I click on something and get the (Not Responding). Then I close the window and Microsoft asks to send a report. I restart Firefox again and I get the "Well, this is embarrassing" session restore page.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

What virus did you have? How did you remove it?

#5 src33

src33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

It started as Home Security Essentials then went to XP Internet Security then XP Spyware Security, or some such thing. I was able to remove it through Bleeping Computer Malware forum. Every scan comes up clean. I think the posts are still up.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

Can you please download Revo Uninstaller and completely remove Firefox. I think your firefox profile is corrupted.

#7 src33

src33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

I'm not sure if I had to delete everything I did but it appears Firefox has been removed. Should I download the new version or avoid it? Thanks by the way.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

Download it and see if it works.

#9 src33

src33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

I'm still having the same problem. When I opened Firefox it asked if I wanted to restore the previous session. Did I use Revo incorrectly?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

You did not remove it fully. You are using your older profile. Use the Advanced Removal Option.

#11 src33

src33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

Can you tell me where that is? Also am I supposed to delete everything that Revo lists or just those items with the words Firefox? Sorry,I have limited experience with this.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

Yes you are supposed to delete everything that Revo suggests.

#13 src33

src33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:58 PM

Ok, so when it lists the files, I select "select all" and then delete? That may have been the problem. I just clicked delete.

Also, the last files were sent to the recycle bin. Is that the function I am supposed to change? Move to permanently delete.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

Here is how to use Revo Uninstaller:

1) First we download it from here: Revo Uninstaller Free Version. You can skip this Step if you already have it installed. However, you may need to update it. If you have it installed already, and you need to update it go ahead and open it up and click the AutoUpdate Icon next to Help.

2) Select the Program to remove from the list of programs:

Posted Image

3) After selecting the program you want to remove, and confirming you want to uninstall the program, then you will want to select the Advanced Option:

Posted Image

4) Select the Advanced mode, and this will start the Uninstaller Window for the application you picked.

5) Follow the Prompts during the Uninstallation of the application. Once it closes you will be at this window:

Posted Image

6) Once the window is done scanning for files and other things that did not get removed is presented, you will be presented with this window:

Posted Image

You will only want to select the bolded items and click on delete. Once done click next.

If it asks you to delete other things and files then do so. But pay attention to the warnings.

#15 src33

src33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the step-by-step. I removed then downloaded and am having the same problem. I think Revo got everything this time as well. Please keep in mind that I am an idiot and this problem could be something simple that I am not aware of. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users