Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb 1.1 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jupiter

jupiter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:58 PM

I have a Micron PC (now MPC) Millenia 933mHz Pentium 3 computer. It came with twin USB 1.1 ports. I want to upgrade to USB 2.0. I have been looking at several PCI-type cards (some are combo cards with fire-wire ports also, which would be just that much nicer) but I hesitated to buy anything until I could get a couple of questions answered by you guys. Does my motherboard have to be equipped in any certain way to be handle USB 2.0 or is it just as simple as plugging into the PCI slot and I'm good to go? Some of the cards I looked at had USB (and sometimes fire-wire) ports internally also - what are these internal ports for? Is that how it connects to the motherboard? The only PCI slot I have available is directly below my video card. If I use this open slot, will that interfere with the cooling fan on the video card? I also have an open AGP slot, could that be used instead of a PCI slot or is that type of slot generally used by other types of cards? OK, so it's more than a couple of questions. At least I came to the right place to get some answers. Thanks for your attention.[size=1]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:40 PM

I can only provide a bit of information on what I did not too long ago to an older, used system that I bought.

I purchased a Belkin brand USB 2.0 upgrade kit. Had no problems installing it in a very simple small generic
desk top PC. It worked well enough that I'll be buying a hub to connect a couple other USB 2.0 units.

There are many other brand names providing similar units now of course, so check around.

This is the article I used in choosing the Belkin. Belkin USB 2.0 Upgrade Kit

Other will respond here also to your other questions.

Regards,
KoanYorel
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:44 PM

The PCI addon cards are fire and forget (If you are using XP or W2k). I have intalled them on over 2 dozen machines with no problem. I have not installed one on an '9x OS but I did on 4 ME computers and it also had no problems.
I have never used Firewire though. I do not think the video card will suffer from being so close. I may be wrong. You could install another case fan.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:38 AM

Does my motherboard have to be equipped in any certain way to be handle USB 2.0

No, that's the job of the expansion card.

what are these internal ports for?

Depending on what type they are they could be for a case which has front USB ports or they could be for USB devices that fit into a vacant drive bays like a mutli-format card reader (speculating slightly here) and there is some talk of (internal) CDROM drives going USB in the future. (see http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usb-boot.mspx)

The only PCI slot I have available is directly below my video card. If I use this open slot, will that interfere with the cooling fan on the video card?

That depends on how big the USB addon card is - but since you later say your AGP slot is vacant that implies your video card is PCI so you could swap it to a more open position if the USB card blocks the fan. And to answer the next question - you can only use AGP slots for AGP video cards. The slot is (should be) keyed so you wont be able to plug anything else in there even if you tried.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 04 January 2006 - 03:57 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 jupiter

jupiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:09 PM

Thank you so much for the quick and informative responses. You have bolstered my confidence in my upgrade plans 300%.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:38 PM

Remember.."You can..". Good luck and keep us posted.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users