Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Both Startup Repair and System Repair Disc just go to blue backgrounds - no options given!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alsvid

Alsvid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

I have a Packard Bell easynote (TM98-GN-030UK), and have had it since Christmas.

On Wednesday, it failed to startup, flashing a quick blue screen and then immediately rebooting. Therefore I cannot get information from the blue screen.
The startup repair option goes to a default blue screen with green nature-y bits. It loads no options, even if I leave it for an hour.

I have tried the system repair disk. It goes to the same background, asks for my language/keyboard settings, and then when I click 'next' again does nothing.

So, I cannot access any kind of repair or restore options as neither does anything beyond show me the default background.

Thanks,
Alsvid

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

Have you read the...PB documentation on using these disks?

http://il.packardbell.com/pb/en/IL/content/download

Louis

#3 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

I was having the same problem several months ago. My problem turned out the be the heat sink fan. It wasn't working. That in turn lead to CPU overheating. I couldn't get into safe mode, system restore, last know good settings, nothing.

I fixed everything by buying a new heat sink fan, but it turned out that the OS files were corrupted. I'm told that faulty hardware doesn't usually cause this problem, but it can. I had to completely wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows7 with an installation disk, not a repair disk.

I know your computer is new, but I had the same exact problem and lap tops tend to get hot. I was lucky because I actually have an installation disk that I bought when I upgraded my OS.

Hopefully, this isn't the problem you're having.......If it is, I would think your lap top is still under warranty.

Edited by Booh-kitty, 13 May 2011 - 06:14 PM.

Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#4 Alsvid

Alsvid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:00 AM

hamluis: there doesn't seem to be any documentation on using repair disks. I don't believe the documentation will give me some kind of password to get past an empty screen, either! ('open sesame' does not work).

booh-kitty: it might well be a hardware problem, because I really do not understand why I cannot see anything at all even after waiting some time. It's very odd. I am still in the 1-year warranty so I shall get some use out of it.

#5 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

In my haste to get on to something else, I forgot to mention that the overheating in the area of the heat sink caused damage to the integrated video card. It was the bad video card that that caused the corruption of the OS files. I replaced it with a video card.

I was lucky that it cost me so little to fix my computer, and the CPU to date seems to be working okay.

I don't think a bad heat sink fan would cause the kind of problems I was having, but the bad video card would.

When I'm using my laptop, the computer I don't use often, I keep the bottom of it well ventilated.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users