Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

➢ Re-installing of WIndows XP Home edition OS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hi, I have a 2002 Dell desktop computer. Dont know if this will help or not, but I want to uninstall and reinstall XP in an effort to get it back to 'new' state & run smoother and faster; it drags half the time.
I understand this desktop is super ancient, & getting a new one is best. BUT, I cant buy a better one right now.

I have never done a reinstall. I bought this already installed from Dell. I need step by step instructions to do so. How long does this process take? I have an external Hardrive where I plan to copy all my pictures & personal things prior.

I have some knowledge on pc things, so following instructions should be sufficient if the terms are kept easy enough.
I am concerned, though, cause of sp3 being the current service pack.

Can you direct me to the right place or if you have insight on this, please let me know.
My SPecs: WIndows XP home edition sp2. I have all original OS discs.
THanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:30 AM

Depending on the speed of your internet connection the full proccess after transfering your files off could be somewhere about 3-4 hours. That would reinstall the OS along with the doing all of the available updates and drivers. Then you would still need to install all of your programs and restore your backed up files. Usually when I am doing this for someone I block out an eight hour window to give me plenty of time to get done. I have another topic I posted that contains the steps to do this as well. I will post he link later when I get home.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

Thanks Baltboy...I will look forward to your link later....I have Qwest DSl and am connecting on this desktop wirelessly, with a linksys wireless 2.4 ghz receiver. The main computer I am connecting thru wirelessly is only about 10 ft away.
Thanks in advance....And if you need more info, please let me know.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

Model number of the Dell and Linksys wireless card would be helpful so that we can link you to the drivers you will need.

Do you have a printer and do you have the cd for it?
If you dont have the cd post the make/model of it as well.

Edit: Another thing to consider is how do you get your email?
If you log onto a website like Yahoo, GMail, Hotmail etc this is not a consideration but if you use a program like Outlook Express or Outlook it will be something that you need to backup and have the correct POP3 and SMTP settings for.

Edited by Eyesee, 13 May 2011 - 03:02 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

Hi, The desktop is a DELL dimension 2300 Pentium 4.
The wireless 2.4 ghz network adapter receiver is: Linksys WUSB54G

I dont understand the relevancy of a printer, but I do have a printer (connected to another computer where the wireless router is),and I possibly have the cd for the printer.
This desktop is not connected to a printer nor will it need to be.

I use yahoo, gmail, etc. I used to use outlook and read newsgroups thru there but I dont anymore so erasing what is there from before & saved is not important.
Hope this helps...
Thanks

Edited by azyardies, 13 May 2011 - 03:11 PM.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

No printer installed then.

Here are your drivers.
You want the chipset (install first) then Audio, Intel Pro100 network, 845G/GL video.

Here are the drivers for your Linksys.
Note that there are 3 revisions. The sticker on the bottom of the device will tell you which you have.
In this case, unplug the USB cable then install the drivers. Dont plug it in until it tells you to.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Here is the link to the topic. How to refromat disk
Hope that helps...sorry for the delay.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users