Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Tray seems to cause crash of my shell

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zell65

Zell65

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

Please bear with me, this is a long story. This is a problem with my personal computer running Win2k Pro. I was recently having an issue where explorer would constantly crash and restart in a loop and then eventually stop, each time accompanied by Drwatson helpfully telling me "explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed...". After checking many of the scenarios I found on google and KB articles on the MS website and finding that none of them applied, I determined there must be some unique problem going on.

I first tried using a utility to disable and re-enable all non-Microsoft shell extensions, which seemed to work for a while. Then explorer started refusing to respond to that little workaround, and went back to crashing nonstop. After deciding explorer was giving me more trouble than it was worth, I decided to just replace the shell entirely with Emerge Desktop. But now it seems the problem is a deeper one. Emerge uses separate applets to replace the standard explorer items, a "Taskbar" applet, a "Start" applet, and clock and system tray applets. The problem is with the System Tray it seems. Drwatson keeps telling me that "EmergeTray.exe has generated errors and will be closed...", leaving me with a taskbar, start, a clock and no tray icons. So now I figure that something in the system tray is causing the problem that I originally saw crashing my explorer.exe.

I have no idea where to go from here, so I hoped someone here might be able to help me. How can I determine if the system tray has something wrong? I've checked the log created by Drwatson, and the most recent exceptions were access violations, originally connected to explorer.exe, they have followed me to Emergetray.exe.

Edited by Zell65, 13 May 2011 - 08:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zell65

Zell65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:00 AM

Ah never mind, problem solved. Was just some trojan breaking things. All good now.

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:10 PM

What trojan was it?

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users