Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Background(caused By Spysheriff)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 toonamihero

toonamihero

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

My computer was infected with Spy Sheriff so I swept my computer with Spy Sweeper, and put it in the quarantine folder. The background saying that my computer was infected with it was gone but now my background will only show solid colors and will not show any pictures. If I click on a picture and click on "set as background", then when I'm shutting down or starting up my computer, then picture will show, but when I'm not, then it will just show the solid background color. I updated Spy Sweeper to the newest version and now it won't work so I'm using PC-cillin. It detects nothing wrong yet I still have the probem. Can any of you inform me on how to get it back to normal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toonamihero

toonamihero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

No need to reply. Background is fixed.

#3 gpics

gpics

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:54 PM

I found something on the Microsoft Website when I had a similar problem. I ended up having to modify my registry to get it back to normal. What happened to me was the background said "Spyware Infection...." and the picture was gone but only colours would change and background picture was not an option.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555429/en-us

I used that to fix my problem. BEWARE this includes changing the registry which is not always a good idea. However, this is the only thing that worked in my particular situation.

#4 gpics

gpics

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

*Note I had to undo what this article describes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555429/en-us

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users