Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The amazing service that IS Bleeping Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lokunia

lokunia

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:10 AM

Hello,

I was having extreme problems with my computer, to the point where I was sure I needed to format and start over to make it work properly again. I had a number of viruses that seemed to have completely taken over my computer including the google hijack virus, anti malware doctor virus, and a number of others. I finally stumbled upon the Bleeping Computer website and thought my last hope was to sign up and ask for help.

Literally within 2 days of posts back and forth with Gringo from Bleeping Computer, my computer was clean and running better than ever before. I now also have a free virus checker and adware blockers recommended by Bleeping Computer. It has been I think 3 weeks now and my computer still shows no sign of the virus activity that was here previously.

My father-in-law contacted me earlier in the week with problems he was having with his own computer that seemed identical to those I had before Gringo helped clean them from my computer. As my father-in-law's computer skills are very poor and he didn't trust me to help, he took it to a computer shop.

Yesterday, 2 days after giving the hard drive to the computer expert, my father-in-law received the computer back. The expert said that he had cleaned the computer and installed anti-virus software. He advised my father-in-law that he had to buy the anti-virus software as the free programs you get from the internet all have "gaps" in them.

The total bill was $270! My father-in-law was surprised at the cost but happy the computer was fixed and working normally.

My wife then went to use his computer that same night, but before she knew it, her google/bing searches were being redirected to different sites, and there were antimalware popups all over the screen telling her the computer was infected with all sorts of viruses. I'm sure you can imagine the anger of my father-in-law after realising he had obviously paid a guy $270 just to install a virus checker that did not do the job.

Moral of the story - the service provided to us on this site free of charge is incredible. I really encourage anyone who uses the site to show their appreciation after they have received their help - either by donation or posts like this to spread the word of the fantastic job by the Bleeping Computer volunteers.

Once again - thank you Gringo and Bleeping Computer.

Cheers,
Luke

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

Hello luke

I would like to thank you for taking the time to come by and doing such an incredible write up like this.
It really means so much to us when somebody comes by and spends a little time to say thank you and to recieve one like this makes it all worth while.
This will be one I will keep in my special place for when things are not going the way they should and I need a pick me up, this will be one of the first ones I will read.

THANK YOU

Gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

If I Have Not Replied To One Of My Topics In 48 Hrs Please Bump The Topic

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

Proud Graduate Of Malware Removal University

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the post. As Gringo has said, words like this make what we do all the more worthwhile.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

Thank you for your kind words.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users