Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excell Workaround?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lutheranguy

Lutheranguy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:13 PM

I have recently set up my old white box 1 gig AMD Athlon computer for my wife in a little home office. She would love to work on some Excel documents that she brings home from work. However, I do not have an up-to-date version of Excel on my computer, just an old copy of Excel for Windows 95. Is there some kind of workaround that she can use? I don't have the 400 odd dollars for an up-to-date copy of Excel that would be compatable with her work computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

There is something called OPEN OFFICE. Might answer your need. I never used or saw it, but read about it I think in these forums.

Another option is to save the workbooks at work using File/Save and then select Excel5/95 version, or even a dual version. A bit of a pain long term but so is 400 bucks. BTW I think I saw Excel, just Excel, not office, at Staples or someplace for roughly $100 - might have been an upgrade, not sure.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

There will be one problem I know of. Password protection algorithm has changed between 95 and 97. So, UNPROTECT before migrating back, otherwise it won't work on 95. I did do this sort of thing between 2000 and 95 and 2003 and 95 and it all worked once the protection was removed wherever it was set (sheets, code, objects...).

One other thing - if those current excel books contain VBA forms - there might be trouble. The last time DIALOG sheets were used was in 95. I do not recall what happened on the back migration here, but I doubt very much that current dialogs/forms will migrate backwards well.

#4 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:56 PM

Maybe this is off topic.....

but i know i had similar issues but microsoft would let you get a trial for quite a long time, a few months i think it was. maybe you could try the new excel and see how much you guys use it at home, then when it expires see if it is worth buying it

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:16 PM

Here's some info I found for you

An explanation of Open Office

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org

Its Download

http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.0/

Full version EXCEL $219

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...Ldqejr6zGQ2Y8NL

Various prices and versions
one is EXCEL 97 CD WIN95 UPGRADE
Another is a student/teacher discount
Plus others

http://zdnetshopper.search.com.com/search?tag=srch&q=excel

Edited by boopme, 03 January 2006 - 11:17 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:25 PM

Open Office will open all MS Office files. It can view, edit, and write Office '97 applications. It's freeware so there is no risk. You may find you enjoy it as much as MS Office.
Here is a snippet from the discription...

Calc
The all-purpose spreadsheet

CALC is the spreadsheet program you've always wanted. Newcomers find it intuitive and easy to learn; professional data miners and number crunchers will appreciate the comprehensive range of advanced functions.

screen dump of Calc Advanced DataPilot technology makes it easy to pull in raw data from corporate databases; cross-tabulate, summarise, and convert it into meaningful information.

Natural language formulas let you create formulas using words (e.g. "sales - costs").

The Intelligent Sum Button inserts a sum function or a subtotal automatically, depending on context.

Wizards guides you through choosing and using a comprehensive range of advanced spreadsheet functions.

Styles and Formatting makes it easy to apply flexible cell formatting options, including freely rotating contents, templates, backgrounds, borders, and many more. You can be your own spreadsheet expert thanks to templates with built-in functions, allowing you to concentrate on your real work.

Scenario Manager allows "what if ..." analysis at the touch of a button - e.g. compare profitability for high / medium / low sales forecasts.

Hide or reveal Design Themes with a single click - use CALC's defaults or add your own.

Save your spreadsheets in OpenDocument format, the new international standard for office documents. This XML based format means you're not tied in to CALC. You can access your spreadsheets from any OpenDocument compliant software.

Of course, you are free to use your old Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, or save your work in Excel format for sending to people who are still locked into Microsoft products. If all they want to see is your results, then use Portable Document Format (.pdf) - no need to buy any extra software.

I hope this helps..
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users