Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random BSODs: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 patronus4000

patronus4000

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

I get random Blue Screens of Death sometimes. It does not appear to be linked to a particular program or activity; sometimes it occurs when I'm using Firefox, sometimes just minutes after I've logged in (and thus have no programs running). However, once I've had one BSOD, it's very likely for me to get ANOTHER BSOD when I restart and log on immediately after.

Just an hour or so ago, something very odd happened: I got one BSOD. It restarted. I logged on. Another BSOD occurred while programs were still loading up (but my desktop had loaded, and all). It restarted again. This time, the BSOD appeared on the log-on screen. Afterwards, it restarted but my monitor said that there was no signal and consequently went on stand-by, even though I had not touched the wires of my monitor. So I turned off the processor. When I tried to turn it on a few minutes later, the computer appeared to get stuck at the boot-up screen (the one where you can choose to use Diagnostic Tools, go to a Boot Screen, etc.) I turned off the computer again. I came back half an hour later and my computer was back to normal.

Unfortunately, none of the Minidumps from today's BSODs were saved for some reason.
These are Minidumps from BSODs last week (from BlueScreenView):

==================================================
Dump File : Mini050711-02.dmp
Crash Time : 07/05/2011 1:19:06 PM
Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x1000000a
Parameter 1 : 0x00000060
Parameter 2 : 0x0000001b
Parameter 3 : 0x00000001
Parameter 4 : 0x81eb95ae
Caused By Driver : afd.sys
Caused By Address : afd.sys+1e25c
File Description : Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini050711-02.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
Dump File Size : 159,481

Dump File : Mini050711-01.dmp
Crash Time : 07/05/2011 1:12:41 PM
Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x1000000a
Parameter 1 : 0x00000004
Parameter 2 : 0x0000001b
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x81efce2f
Caused By Driver : win32k.s
Caused By Address : win32k.s+d0e35
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini050711-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
Dump File Size : 159,449

I have Vista Home Premium SP2.
This problem started a few months ago. After a while, I couldn't figure out what to do, so I did a system restore to several months back. This appeared to fix the problem; however, several weeks ago, the BSODs started to appear again, at first, once in a long time, but now much more common. I've run Vista's Memory Diagnostic Tool; it appears to be fine. So I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:29 PM

Many times a faulty motherboard but I would try updating the drivers first.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/11437-45-irql_not_less_or_equal-hardware-problem

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

<<Afterwards, it restarted but my monitor said that there was no signal and consequently went on stand-by, even though I had not touched the wires of my monitor. So I turned off the processor. When I tried to turn it on a few minutes later, the computer appeared to get stuck at the boot-up screen (the one where you can choose to use Diagnostic Tools, go to a Boot Screen, etc.) I turned off the computer again. I came back half an hour later and my computer was back to normal.>>

I would be inclined to eliminate possible system overheating, except for the fact that you received the No Signal message. The No Signal indicates a problem with the video card/chip transmission...or the monitor.

I would check the connections between the monitor and system first...then uninstall the current video drivers, using Device Manager, followed by a reboot of the system and reinstallation of the correct video drivers.

System manufacturer and model?

You posted an earlier thread indicating video problems, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic337315.html/page__p__1872242#entry1872242 , so it may well be failing hardware but I would try the above before moving to such a conclusion.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2011 - 10:17 AM.

#4 patronus4000

patronus4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

Thank you, zbd and hamluis for your quick replies. (:

I'm using a Compaq Presario SR5550F.

About that thumbnail problem that I posted in another thread... It's interesting, because after the system restore I performed in an attempt to resolve my BSODs, my thumbnails have appeared again. So at least something has been fixed.

I will try reinstalling the video drivers tonight, when I get back to my computer. I'll let you know how it goes.

#5 patronus4000

patronus4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:59 PM

Okay, so I've uploaded my nVidia display driver. No problems yet, but since BSODs used to pop up at totally random intervals anyway, I don't dare say that the problem is fixed. I'll reply again if something out of the ordinary has occurred.

Thank you!

#6 patronus4000

patronus4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

Everything has been fine...until half an hour ago, when my computer spontaneously restarted. No BSOD, or anything. After restarting, I logged in. The computer got stuck while loading all the start-up programs. Another restart, and everything is fine now.

After the driver update, it did appear that the start-up had become slower. But I wouldn't mind that too much if this spontaneous restarting didn't happen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

What happens in safe mode?

#8 patronus4000

patronus4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

I don't spend much time in Safe Mode, but for the times that I have (e.g. sometimes after BSODs, I go into safe mode and try in vain to figure out the problem), nothing odd has happened.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

Well, perhaps you can leave it in safe mode for a while to be sure. Random or intermittent problems are VERY difficult to diagnose.

#10 lkegley9

lkegley9

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

Honestly, I always find random BSODs/problems to be linked to hardware more than software. But thats just me. But beyond that, those BSODs can be caused by anything hardware related though. D:

Honestly, what I would try and do is this. Find some RAM from a friend or relative that matches yours and swap your RAM and put in the known good. I have a gut feeling that its RAM related.

If that doesn't do it, let me know.

Edited by lkegley9, 18 May 2011 - 09:12 AM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

Honestly, I always find random BSODs/problems to be linked to hardware more than software. But thats just me. But beyond that, those BSODs can be caused by anything hardware related though. D:

Honestly, what I would try and do is this. Find some RAM from a friend or relative that matches yours and swap your RAM and put in the known good. I have a gut feeling that its RAM related.

If that doesn't do it, let me know.

I disagree with pretty much everything in this post.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

Just for the record...BSODs can be caused by drivers, malware, hardware, software problems and O/S problems...of varying origin. The variety of possible causes is what makes the error messages so difficult to troubleshoot, IMO.

It's not rocket science...but it's a lot more than simple arithmetic.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 May 2011 - 09:35 AM.

#13 patronus4000

patronus4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:59 PM

Thanks everyone for all your help.

@Allan: Okay, in the next few days, I will try to work in Safe Mode for a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

@lkegley9: Besides swapping RAM, is there any other way to check whether I have faulty RAM?

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

To check the ram, download memtest (http://www.memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#15 patronus4000

patronus4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

I didn't get to using Safe Mode much, but everything had been fine until today. After another IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD, I booted in to Safe Mode with Networking. After everything loaded up, it just restarted on its own (without a BSOD). I'm not sure if the processor actually restarted -- after the crash, my monitor didn't seem to get a signal from the processor, and I was forced to turn off the entire system. After five minutes, I turned the processor back on, and everything was fine.

@Allan: I'll consider doing Memtest. I have no blank CDs at home, and I'm not sure if I'll get around to buying some. >.<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users