Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shay 420

Shay 420

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

I figure this would be the place to ask before I screw something up due to me knowing jack about comps or wireless connections. I live in duplex with my parents living right next door to me and we share cable internet, wireless router is hooked up to their comp and I have a network adapter hooked to my computer. My husband even has connection for his xbox live and we have no problem with connection speed or lag at all. Now my problem is I have DirectTV being installed Monday and in order to get the DirectTV Cinema we need a wireless router to connect. My question is is this possible using my parents connection? Is there anything I can buy? Someone mentioned a bridge? I am pretty clueless so I wanted to ask people who would know a lot more then I would before I go buying anything. Here is a guide on exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks in advance for any help or advice! Quick start guide

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:30 AM

Often separate premises are treated individually as far as the ISP T&Cs are concerned and you need to have a separate account with the ISP , however, I know there are exceptions in other countries where there are two or more premises on a Plot and also share the services, water/electric/gas etc

So unless a mod closes ,

As the unit does not have wireless built in , then you will need an adapter of some description
1) If you are on the same electrical supply - From the SAME fuse box - then you can use the powerlines produts which will connect the TV to the router via the electrical system -
2) you could use a wireless access point - this is what I use , so i have my ethernet TV and PVR connected by cable to this wireless box, which is then wireless connected to my router - the model i use is only G rated wireless speed 54mbps = but that is fine for streaming HD video across the network and also using streamun iplayer and Sky over the internet to the TV
Edimax EW-7209APg - this has 5 LAN ports , but you can get "N" rated wireless access points , and devices with just one LAN connection - slightly cheaper

EDIT: No reason to close your response that I see :) ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2011 - 09:17 AM.

ETAF

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:27 AM

IMO The best option would be find the "Common" wall between the units and install a RJ-45 panel jack on both sides then connect away with wired cable. However in this case it seems it may be best to use Etafs suggestion and use an Access point. You can use any router that can be configured as an access point. Since your dealing with an existing network the router would have to be compatible with the network your using now IE 802.11 A/B/G/N and use the same encryption WEP or WPA-PSK. As stated above you should get the best performance from an 802.11 N adapter but your situation may very depending on the interference in your home.You can find them at Newegg.com. I have had great success with both the Cisco adapters at my School.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 May 2011 - 12:31 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 midnight51

midnight51

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

Look it's etaf giving advice on PIGGYBACKING. How convenient to everyone for him to bless us with his knowledge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users