Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hackers hacked by hacker

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 harrywaldron

harrywaldron

Security Reporter

• Members
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 21 May 2004 - 08:28 AM

I thought this was interesting, informative, and even a little funny :thumbsup:

An ALLIANCE OF HACKERS dubbed the Hackers Against America (HAA) has had its website defaced by a Hacker named Marcos. HAA was hacked because they did not follow two key best practices:

1. They did not keep the Operating System patched up

2. They used the same Password for their network as they did for sites they accessed on the Internet.

Hackers hacked by hacker
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16050

How they did it

HAA were running a version of BIND which was so old that it had a certain vulnerability which all hackers knew about. Being the sort of network experts they are, the Pirates had failed to install the patches. Marcos modified the DNS so that when the site webmaster tried an FTP connection to update the site, he would be sent to Marcos's own FTP server. When HA's webmaster logged in, Marcos nicked his FTP username and password which he promptly used to deface the website after deleting all the other content, it transpires.

In another security twist, it appears that the hackers had used the same password on their yahoo email sites… so Marcos closed them. Well if you don’t take the most basic security precautions, it is clear you will get hacked. Maybe HAA should get some security experts in.

Edited by harrywaldron, 21 May 2004 - 08:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:57 AM

Hey Harry,
That WAS very interesting . i hate to see anyone get hacked but on the other hand it's nice to know that the hackers aren't left out :thumbsup:
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:50 AM

:thumbsup: Oh WoW!! The HAA must really feel stupid. I guess you get what you pay for though. They deserve it. Can you say DuH?! :flowers: I'm glad you posted that Harry. It does my heart good to see the bad guys get a little of their own back.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users