Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

seagate external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shogun697

shogun697

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

I have a seagate external hard drive which I use.But now when pluged in it calling for a driver are a disc.No disc came with it and the seagate site said extertal hard drives dont need drivers?i'm at a loss?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:37 AM

Hard drives are plug and play devices. Windows has drivers incorporated into the operating system, these are known as "native drivers". When you plug in a plug and play device, such as a hdd or an optical drive, and turn on the computer the installation wizard will recognize the new hardware and install the drivers that are needed.

Without knowing what the operating system is that is being used with this computer I can only provide you with generic instructions.

To see if there is a problem with the driver go to the Device Manager to see if there are any errors or warnings for Disk Drives. If there are you can click on the ( + ) plus sign to expand the tree, double click on the drive in question, click on the Driver tab at the top of the page and then click on the option to Uninstall the driver. Reboot the computer and the driver will be replaced.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:57 AM

I have a seagate external hard drive which I use.But now when pluged in it calling for a driver are a disc.No disc came with it and the seagate site said extertal hard drives dont need drivers?i'm at a loss?

Can you please be a little more specific about EXACTLY what happens and the EXACT message you get?

#4 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

SeaGate does have drivers for their external drives. You need to have your product registered so you can create an account and then do a search for drivers for your model.

Register Here

Then here

Downloads

Do a search for your specific model to find the drivers you need according to your OS.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#5 shogun697

shogun697
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'm using windows vista and when i plug the sseagate drive into the computer in Device Manager a yellow mark comes up next to driver called cypress AT2LP RC58. I tried to unistall the drive and restart but no joy.
I tried to find the drive on the seagate site but also no joy. any help would be great

Edited by shogun697, 13 May 2011 - 05:33 PM.

#6 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

Download the driver from the Seagate website directly and install it from there.

Or......

Open the device manager. Right click on external driver device. Click 'Update Driver'. While you're there, also update the USB devices.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to defer to someone with more experience.

Edited by Booh-kitty, 13 May 2011 - 05:38 PM.

Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

Booh-kitty

SeaGate does have drivers for their external drives. You need to have your product registered so you can create an account and then do a search for drivers for your model.

These downloads are for diagnostic tools, cloning the drive, file encryption and tools of this nature.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=38494

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

Nice find Louis.:thumbup2:

#10 Welshmally

Welshmally

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

I'm no expert, but when I had trouble installing an External HDD the suppliers recommended plugging it into the back of the PC tower (motherboard USB drives?) and bingo, it all worked.

Don't know if this is helpful.......

WM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users