Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates refuse to install.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

For a couple of months now, Windows Update will download, but fail to install the updates on offer.
There are no specific error messages, just a statement that a problem with my computer is stopping the install.
I can manually install some; some say 'not a valid Win32 App' and the security update for IE8 tells me
that it is not appropriate for my version of IE, which is IE8 anyway.

I have run SFC, chkdsk, full Avast antivirus scan, full SuperAntiSpyware scan, replaced the SD folder, deleted
the CatRoot2 folder, re-registered the .dlls, used the Microsoft 'Fixit' program, in fact I believe I have
done everything I have ever read about in MS articles, this forum and links referred to here.

I had not done anything or installed new software before the problem arose.

The only error I can find is in the WindowsUpdate.log file, as follows:

'Service WARNING: GetUserTokenFromSessionId failed with error 800704dd for session 0' (seems to be linked to Error: 0x80240020)

I've Googled this, and read this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341

The only thing I haven't previously tried is creating the entries, by reference to that article in:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\Winlogon\Notify\Senslogn -
which is currently empty.

So, having backed up the registry with ERUNT, double clicking on my newly created .reg file produces the following:

"Not all data was successfully written to the Registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."
(In fact, no data is written.)

Attempting manual editing produces:

"Cannot create value - error writing to the registry"

Same situation exists if safe mode is used.
System Restore is not appropriate, as I only maintain recent points.

Possible Rootkit? Perhaps it's time to reinstall (for the first time) on this 7 year old computer.

Dell Dimension 4600, Pentium 4, XP Home, SP3, 2.5GB RAM, HDD 80GB, 75% unused.

Edited by petewills , 12 May 2011 - 12:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

This is what has now worked for me, may not work for you.

The MS article refers to the SensLogn folder in the registry and the required entries.

My problem writing to the registry was all about permissions, so having dealt with that, I then used my prepared .reg file, containing all the info (but in the appropriate format) in the MS article to populate the SensLogn folder.

All updates then installed without any problem, including the formerly troublesome Cumulative Security IE8 update.

The usual warning applies - do not mess with the registry, if you are not totally comfortable with registry editing
and always backup the registry first, with ERUNT or some other suitable program.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for posting your resolution, Pete :).

Since so many seem to have problems with Win Updates, I'm sure this will help someone out there.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#4 petewills

petewills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

Hi Louis,

Yet another addition to my solutions list. Hopefully, the better known options will work for most users.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users