Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add/Remove Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

Why does it take so long to populate this screen ? It is not as though I have 10k programs !
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

Is it still ocurring. You may have been try trying while the board was doing it'd daily backup,that lasts a couple minutes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

I think that you are referring to the add/remove program list and not this website.
Sometimes it can take a while to populate. I just brought it up on a system and it took 20-30 seconds.
How long is it taking on your system
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 USN Vet

USN Vet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

Yes, as the Topic implies, I am referring to add/remove programs in control panel. My system takes more like 35-45 seconds. Just seems rather long time for 1 1/2 screens of data.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

IME...it takes a "few seconds" to populate, which is normal. Just as it takes a few seconds for MS Office apps to open.

I've never considered "why", I only know that it does. I assumed that it does some sort of inventory of programs and installers/uninstallers which exist, but that's just my imagination :), I've never bothered to find out how it's supposed to work.

Louis

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

I also suspected that it is doing an inventory of some sort.
This KB article confirms that and states "If a first level folder has a very large number of files, this operation can take an extended period of time to complete".

Odd that very few systems that I see have a large amount of files in root and the list still populates slowly.
35-45 seconds isnt bad though. I have seen it take several minutes before.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users