Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AXEL.DAV

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 limbot

limbot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:36 AM

I searched the forum and did not get a return on this subject. So I will post: I have WinXP Pro on an HP Pavilion Desktop. HD setup, C: is HP Pavilion and D: is HP_Backup. When I did a system repair I ended up with an axel.dev files, at least one in every folder. My research returned over 2 mil hits identifying it as a virus with no clear action to be taken (except fdisk, without saving any files). I tried deleting them, they return. I ran Malwarebytes and Superantispyware in safe mode didn't come up with anything. The funny thing is the PC seems to be "normal" but this particular PC has always had a "mind of its own" ha ha. :hysterical: The origination date on the axel.dev file is back in 2006. Any ideas my friends?

Best Regards

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2011 - 08:17 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

Where did you find links suggesting that these files are malware-related? Post link, if possible.

Axel seems to be a download manager, written in linux.

Your post says "axel-dev" while your title says "axel.dav"...which is it?

Worth a look, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic374767.html , informational purposes only. Do not follow the suggestions made to that member.

I'm moving this to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:17 PM

I have found thousands of references to axel.dav most related to HP and Compaq Presario computers going back as far as 2004. Many of these complaints seem to surface after a user performs a restore/repair. I checked the HP forum and only found one discussion thread but the OP advised he got his information from other discussion boards. I could not find a reference to axel.dav at any of the major security vendors which would be highly unusual if this were in fact a wide spread virus. There were a few discussions at anti-virus forums but no definitive answer as to what that file actually was.

It could be possible that these files may have been created by the HP repair (if that is what you used) especially since you indicate the date is 2006.

I also found references of startups created in MSConfig and various specialized tool logs such as these:
O4 - S-1-5-18 Startup: AXEL.DAV (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: AXEL.DAV (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: AXEL.DAV (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: AXEL.DAV
O4 - Global Startup: AXEL.DAV

I honestly don't know what it is.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users