Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU fan running full tilt in safe mode.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:40 AM

Ack I've had so many problems with this damn thing it's ticking me off! :angry:

I recently got a bunch of viruses cleaned off this computer (a month or two ago) and for awhile everything seemed dandy, though it's seen faster days. But I wanted to run a chkdsk to see if it could clean some problems up. maybe get it running a little less sluggish. But when I got into safe mode the CPU fan started running full tilt! No real explanation either, I checked to see if anything was taking up a large amount of CPU and there was nothing! System idle process was almost always at 99%, and only the bare essentials were running. I also notice the CPU runs louder on most games lately even on low def Windows 95 games, performance isn't that badly effected though, it doesn't behave that way when I'm doing normal stuff, in fact right now it's perfectly quiet. I just don't understand why it's doing that in safe mode. :unsure:

I've scanned my computer (in normal mode) with Avast, ESET, MBAM and Super Anti Spyware with 0 results. In safe mode I've only scanned with ESET so far since I was concerned about leaving it running like that any longer, still no results. I did still run chkdsk before I restarted as well.

Could it be Malware? Or should I just be looking at old hardware gone bad? :blink:

Hugh... One of these days, I'm going to reformat all the computers in this house at once I swear... <_<

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

Fan bearings go bad...IMO, typical noises emanating from a system are likely to be fan or hard drive related.

Safe mode should have no logical consequence on fan function...are you saying that this perceived increased activity...doesn't ever happen in normal mode?

Louis

#3 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

Fan bearings go bad...IMO, typical noises emanating from a system are likely to be fan or hard drive related.

Safe mode should have no logical consequence on fan function...are you saying that this perceived increased activity...doesn't ever happen in normal mode?

Louis

It happens when playing games or editing video in normal mode because I'm using a significant amount of CPU. But in safe mode it does it for no reason. :o

I'm thinking it could be a bad fan. As it also seems to run loud at the drop of a hat sometimes. I'm not entirely sure it's the CPU fan though, I just assume it is due to it being loud in normal mode when I edit videos, which I know for a fact is quite CPU intensive.

Trying to dig into memories here, but I think I remember that other computers I've used behave similarly in safe mode, though not to such an extent, possibly due to certain drivers that keep them in check that aren't running in safe mode. I don't really know much about computers. :wacko:

Whatever the case this computer is old, I've been getting allot of dumprep.exe troubles lately, when things lock up it takes longer for them to close after ending the process.

Edited by VicVegas, 12 May 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

I think that I would be more inclined to suspect the PSU fan, based on what's stated and make an effort to determine just where the noise originates. I would remove the case cover and note the origin, assuming this is a desktop.

That should eliminate guessing.

As for dumpreps...

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#5 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

I would remove the case cover and note the origin, assuming this is a desktop.

I probably should have considered this before posting, but I'm not sure how easy it is to take this thing apart. It's never been opened since I got it, and there is no side cover. The sides and top are all one solid piece with four screws holding it on at the bottom. What's more, the manual is probably buried under a massive pile of paperwork. I'll try to figure it out but it could take me awhile.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

It 404'd. :o

Edited by VicVegas, 12 May 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

Works for me, try again.

Louis

#7 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:38 AM

Not Found

The requested URL /utils/blue_screen_view.html. was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Still nothing. Any ideas?

#8 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

It has been a VERY long time since I posted here, but I found out something new.

The problem is almost definitely with my hard drive, because lately it's been having a hard time making it past boot. I'll have to turn it off and on once or twice before it will start loading Windows.

I guess I'd better start backing things up to an external drive, since this thing will probably die soon. <_<

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

My apologies for the link...adding a period after a link results in that error and I seem to do that without thinking...link now corrected.

If the hard drive itself is bad...move any valued data files...then run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility (long test) on it.

I would still like to see the output from the BlueScreen utility.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users