Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install XP Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jsbamt

jsbamt

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:54 PM

Hello! I have just completed an extensive eradication of viruses, trojan horses and malware on my PC, which was nearly useless. It now actually starts up and shuts down normally, thanks to input from Grinler and CalamityKen. It is locked down pretty tight, though and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my problem.

My computer is setup to do automatic Windows XP updates, and I can see that it has tried and failed at least 4 times. I also tried twice to do the update to SP2 manually on 2 occasions, and it failed both times. Can you advise me? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jsbamt

jsbamt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:07 PM

Well, I just tried AGAIN and it got about 50% done and then a popup window came up that said "ACCESS is Denied". Do you think I may have some security settings too tight?

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 26 October 2004 - 11:29 PM

I would order the free CD for SP2 upgrade from MS. You should have it within 10 days to two weeks. There's much more on the CD than comes direct from MS site on their download.

You didn't note whether you use a dialup service, DSL, or cable/broadband.

You might need to disable your AV and/or Firewall programs to complete the download.
But don't forget to immediately enable them when completed.

regards,
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2004 - 08:23 AM

Might want to stay away from sp2 I have had trouble with it. Hurts the IE browser.
Just a opinion.

#5 jsbamt

jsbamt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2004 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the response, Koanyorel. I use a DSL line from SBC to get on internet, and have SpywareBlaster, Spybot search & destroy, and Lavasoft Ad-aware in addition to the Freedom software I obtained from HP when I bought my PC use for anti-virus scanning.

How would I temporarily disable these programs? Sorry to be such a newbie!

Why does the SP2 install get half-way done before it gives me the "access is denied" message and backs out the change it downloaded and started to install?

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 27 October 2004 - 04:44 PM

I'm not familiar with the HP software you've noted.
We'll need to wait for one of the Pro's to help out there.

SpywareBlaster - click on the icon to open screen. You should see an overview of all statuses. Below that you'll see "Quick Tasks" - this is where you enable and disable protection.

Adaware & Spybot search & destroy only operate when you run them and do not have to be disabled.

To temporarily disable your XP firewall (if it is set) click on start > control panel > Network and Internet Connections > Change Windows Firewall settings. (Follow the same path to enable it as soon as you've completed your download.)

I'm unsure as to why your D/L stalls.

It's possible that your DSL line is not all that clean; they are subject to same problems as dialup lines.

I'm sure one of the others will be along shortly to fill in the holes I've left.

regards,
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users