Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SR won't work

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:05 PM

HP G72; Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit; Intel Pentium CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz; 6 GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics; 300 GB HDD; 6 months old.

A week ago, a Bible program I use frequently suddenly wasn't on my computer anymore. Then since yesterday, every time I run a google search, I get a message wanting me to type squiggly letters to prove I'm not a robot!

So, I ran System Restore at the point before the uninstall of my Bible program and SR wouldn't complete successfully - it says it failed while deleting the following file\directory. Path: c\windows\sysWOW64\servicescache.exe. An unexpected error occured during System Restore. (0xc0003005)

Then I ran System Restore again, this time in Safe Mode and tried an earlier date. Same result.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,
Sharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

First of all, system restore won't restore your Bible program, since system restore deals with Windows files only.
Secondly...

every time I run a google search, I get a message wanting me to type squiggly letters to prove I'm not a robot!

Can you post a screenshot?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:49 AM

Yes, I'll do that next time it happens - since I posted I've been online and it hasn't done it one time! Go figure - it was popping up every time before I posted it! Do you have any ideas why SR won't work on a new computer? Or how in the world a program just uninstalled itself?

Since posting, I also noticed that Spyware Blaster has also disappeared.

S.

Edited by HomesickInTexas, 12 May 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

Does the Bible program and Spyware Blaster still show up in the Start Menu?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

I'm thinking....maybe some infection on your computer playing around...

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

Good morning, Folks. Here's the latest: no, the programs don't show up in the start menu. There was a restore point that listed the uninstallation of the Bible program, but nothing on Spyware Blaster.

Now, other problems: my laptop and my husband's laptop are connected to our business network via a router - there are three desktops that we use in our business that are hardwired. This morning I ran scans on the main office computer because all the computers are running PAINFULLY SLOW. AVG discovered 2 rootkits on the machine but won't heal or remove them. I have no idea what to do about rootkits, but I understand they can be really bad news.

Anyway, could rootkits have caused the uninstallations and the google 'robot' problem on my personal laptop? If so, can you help? Also, I'm wondering if rootkits that attacked one computer on the network have subsequently attacked all 5 computers?

We are a small business just started out in January and just can't afford a computer guy to come in and fix these 5 machines. We are a consignment and auction business and our next auction is tomorrow night. We need all three hardwired computers just to run the auction. All three are as slow as Christmas, especially when running AuctionFlex, the software we use to run the auction.

I'm running Malwarebytes on the secondary office computer now. However, it did not detect the rootkit on the main machine - AVG did, but wouldn't heal or remove it.

I'm hoping to be able to get through tomorrow night's auction with the business machines running this way. But my personal laptop can be altered today if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks so very much!
Sharon

P.S. Does Microsoft Security Essentials search for rootkits - if so, does it remove them? This laptop is the first machine I've ever had with MSS and so I don't know anything about it and the interface isn't very revealing either.

Edited by HomesickInTexas, 12 May 2011 - 11:28 AM.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

You better...

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

Thanks SO MUCH, Broni. I will do as you instruct. I really appreciate your help.

Have a SPECTACULAR day!
Sharon

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

Same to you :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

Be sure you reset and change the old password on the router ... It sounds like your network has been hacked.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#11 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

OK - will you send instuctions on how to do that, please? Thanks!

S.

P.S. Now making back-ups and running Ccleaner again. Will take a few hours for the backups, then I'll post on the Malware Removal Forum.

P.P.S. OK - logged in to my router and changed the password - easypeasy!

Edited by HomesickInTexas, 12 May 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

On your router, you'll find a pinhole marked "Reset".
Keep pushing the hole, using a pencil, or a paperclip until all lights briefly come off and on.
NOTE. Simple router disconnecting from a power source will NOT do.

NOTE. You may need to re-check your router security settings (including setting a new password), as described HERE

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

The little hole said 'Restore factory presets' - so I pushed it. Also set a new password.

Thanks!
S.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Cool beans :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:04 AM

Have backed up everything and followed posting instructions and am now posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic397263.html in the malware removal forum. Wanted to let you know, as you requested.

Thanks again for your input, it was very much appreciated!
S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users