Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dll file

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Anne11

Anne11

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hello, when I start my computer (desktop home) I get the message, "Windows cannot find clshwdis.dll. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again." Please help. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.

Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message. -->> clshwdis.dll
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

Edited by boopme, 13 May 2011 - 01:27 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Anne11

Anne11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.

Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message. -->> clshwdis.dllRight-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

but is that particular dll important?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

That .dll is not a Windows file. It either belongs to a program you installed that is trying to load at boot or, as boopme posted, it is a malware remnant. Is there some reason you don't want to follow his advice?

#5 Anne11

Anne11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

I did the autorun and didn't see it there, anything else I can do? And yes, it did happen after I downloaded utorrent and downloaded a game. Thanks in advance

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

Definitely a bug..

For starters download, install update and run MalwareBytes AntiMalware
Do the complete scan. It could take some time so be patient and let it run to completion.
Remove everything it finds and see if it takes care of this.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

Just out of curiosity...you did look on the Logon tab of Autoruns, right?

Louis

#8 Anne11

Anne11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

did malware bytes, no infections, and yes Louis looked at each of the tabs 1 by 1. Really have your work cut out for you ay guys? lol

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

1) Did you also run a full system scan with your anti virus app (MalwareBytes is not an av)?
2) Download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Look in each tab. Do you see any startup programs with which you are not familiar? If so, uncheck them and reboot. Do you still get the message?

#10 Anne11

Anne11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

I ran a full scan & fix with my AVG security system and ther mlin.net I'm not sure whst is supposed to be there and what is not. Sorry

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

64-bit users go HERE
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Vista\Win 7 users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As Administrator
  • Copy the content of the following box into the main textfield:
    :filefind
    clshwdis.dll
    :regfind
    clshwdis*

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#12 Anne11

Anne11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

SystemLook 04.09.10 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 09:30 on 27/05/2011 by Sylvain
Administrator - Elevation successful

========== filefind ==========

Searching for "clshwdis.dll "
No files found.

========== regfind ==========

Searching for "clshwdis*"
No data found.

-= EOF =-

Annoying. lol

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#14 Anne11

Anne11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

i don't see the option "browse" option
i saved it on my c and it reads autorunst (text document)
when i open it its just a bunch of letters. Is that what you want? Sorry i'm not too good at this :(

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

Most likely, you saved it as .arn file (default).

As my screenshot shows, you have to click on down arrow at "Save as type" and select "text(txt)".

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users