Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded to Win7 64bit, only recognizing 2GB of RAM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nephew

Nephew

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

As the title suggests, just updated to WIn7 64bit on my HP EliteBook 8730w laptop, and it's only recognizing 2GB of the 4 I have. Tried updating the BIOS and that didn't solve anything. Any other suggestions on what to try, or at least to get me started in the right direction?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

Go Msconfig > Boot tab > Advanced >and see, if anything is "checked" in the maximum memory box

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 curetecjames

curetecjames

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

Probably resolved this now but you could always try swapping the RAM modules within the laptop. I had a similar issue on my desktop, Windows 7 64 Bit stopped recognizing my 6GB RAM in my desktop and it wasn't until I removed each module to individually test them and reseated them into different DIMM slots that Windows actually started detected the full 6GB again.

Something to try anyway if your still experiencing issues.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users