Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continual Clicking Noise And Scarey Messages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 felinepeachy

felinepeachy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

Computer is a Gateway with Winows XP Home. All has been fine but this morning when I got up and turned it on it started out making this continual clicking noise. Then I got a message saying "Hard drive not connecting" and then shortly after another one saying"Boot failure, system halted". What does this mean?

Does this sound like a virus? Could I have gotten one in a chat room if I didn't talk to anyone? I had just popped in for a couple of minutes to see what was going on.

What could have changed from last night when I was happily surfing, to this morning? P.S. I have noticed you telling some people to boot in safe mode for various reasons, how does one do that for future reference? :thumbsup:

Please help me, my computer is my only connection to the outside world.
Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:00 PM

My computer started making that clicking noise a few weeks ago, and kept clicking until i got the messages similar to yours. Apparently, that's a clear sign that the harddrive is dying (at least that's what my techy friend told me, and i usually trust his analysis). The solution was to replace the hard-drive. He did it for me, and ta-da, no more clicking or error messages.

This may or may not be the case for you, but it does sound oddly familiar.

BTW: To boot in safe mode, continously tap "F8" right after you restart your computer. It will bring up a menu with various options. You can choose to start it in safe mode, safe mode without networking, command prompt, etc.

#3 felinepeachy

felinepeachy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:19 PM

.............Oh no, please not the hard drive. Ballpark, what does that cost to replace? What would cause that to go bad overnight? Why me? :thumbsup:
Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:53 PM

Stuff happens, and hardware fails - it's just a fact of life. It's not anything that you did wrong, it's just that it's worn out (presuming that this is the problem).

It's very difficult to estimate a cost without knowing your system specs/hard drive specs. But, for the average desktop computer you can replace a hard drive for between $50 and $100 US - depending on your hard drive size and the system's needs (Laptops are usually more).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

You could try to do a simple hard disk self test in your bios. There are two level of tests, simple then advance. Upon boot up, go into your bios..might be F10 or F12 .....or even F2....its indicate whenever u boot up, In the blue or some green screen, there is an option for HDD self test.....select that n see the result......It will indicate failed if your harddisk din survive ..... However, there is still way to retrieve the data should u need it .....
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users