Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to find the new Memory module you need

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:29 PM

Most computer users know that the quickest and easiest way to increase performance is to install more RAM, but what RAM do you need? There are many types out there and you need compatible modules or they simply will not work.

To find out which you need and the maximum that your Motherboard will handle go to Crucial.com
http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx

Go to System Scanner
Check the box to agree to Terms and Conditions and Download the scanner. Save or Run 'CrucialScan.exe'
When the scan is complete, a browser window will open with the info you need. eg

[[ Memory:
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Slots: 2
Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.]]

You should also get a Guaranteed-Compatible Upgrade suggestion for your MB if you purchase from Crucial, but with the above info you can buy from anywhere with the reasonable assumption that it will work.

Prices vary but it is recommended that you get "NAME" brands even if it costs a little more, and if possible use matched pairs.

If you are going to install the RAM yourself, remember that static electricity will kill an electronic component instantly, so be sure to earth yourself to a metal part of your computer frame and never touch the contacts on the module.

Happy hunting.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

Good recommendation. Can't remember ever buying from anywhere else.
Competitive prices, quick service, the scanner is a great tool and you get clear information on the options.

It had a bit of trouble with a relative's 10 year old Evesham Micro (Asus Mobo, AMD processor) and advised
caution on its suggestions. Pulled the chips out and read the manual on that one.

If you want an independent rundown of the slots and currently installed memory, (and so much more),
the free Belarc Advisor is a useful program.

#3 whathuhitwasntme

whathuhitwasntme

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

CPUZ is pretty good as well, CPUID is the maker of the program and it will tell you
"just the facts mam" with out trying to clutter up the rest. ram by the slot, power, rating processor speed etc
I like Belarc as well, but hey more is better
You, yes YOU! STAND STILL WITH IT! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:02 AM

Been seeing this link/website in a few posts here and wondered about it's safety, as I always get a bit skittish when having to 'Save/Run' apps from a website I'm not familiar with, so thanks for the post and the information.

I think it was killer525 (from Australia?) who first mentioned it, so now I think I'll surf over this weekend and see if a little bit of RAM will make my e-machine even better! :lol:

I'll give you all an update when I get everything up and running.

Oh, and thanks for reminding noobs like me to keep ourselves grounded when putzing around inside our machine and/or with certain components. << pretty darn crucial.

Onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users