Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MXTask2.exe - Slowing System

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

I came home and logged on to my computer. I start Outlook Firefox, and iTunes. I have these programs open most of the time I'm on the computer. This time, however, I got a message that there was not enough memory for Outlook to operate. I checked task manager and everything seemed normal except something called MXTask2.exe. What is this? It won't let me turn it off? Is this the likely culprit that's hogging my computer memory?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

I also now note that most of my files on the desktop have pictures of a king as from a deck of cards.

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

Please disregard this thread since I have posted a different one here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic396846.html

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

What is the "mxtask2.exe" ?

Anytime you come across a suspicious file for which you cannot find any information about, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process usually depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a legitimate or critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location (folder) than where the legitimate file resides and runs from there.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users